Radio 4: 13:30 Today, Friday - Feedback (Brass band mention)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by NeilW, Jun 11, 2004.

1. NeilW

NeilW Member

Just heard it on a trailor - Brass Bands are one of the subjects on Feedback today.

Wonder what its going to be about?

Neil.
    (Yes, I DO listen to R4!)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Feedback
    Radio 4
    one
    Brass band mention
    trailor - Brass Bands
  3. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Re: Radio 4: 13:30 Today, Friday - Feedback (Brass band ment

Well where else do you get to listen to The Archers....feedback clashes with the cricket on R4 longwave....what a dilemma!!
    I am an icon of youth :shock:

4. NeilW

NeilW Member

the question is "Where have all the brass bands gone?"

Maybe we should write in and tell them :)

Neil
    (I listen to the Archers too :oops: )

5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Brass Bands on Radio

Managed to catch the 3 minute feature on Feedback (Radio 4). Letter sent in complaining that out of 300 hours music per week (Radios 2 & 3) only 30 minutes is from brass bands (Listen to the Band). Also mentioned demise of Radio 3 Bandstand which featured contest pieces and brass band compositions.

Reply from Radio 3 was that they do include brass band music somewhere in the programming (don't know how you find out when its going to be though. Reply from Radio 2 was that brass band was covered in the same way as country, folk and jazz (not a lot then). Programme finished with naff performance of last 12 bars of Gregson's Prelude for an Occassion. Whoohoo that's it for another year then.

6. amgray

amgray Member

Could be something to do with a (nameless) controller of music at radio 3 I was at school, with being rabidly anti-brass band from an early age.......

He was a second rate trumpet player who failed to get in to any of the Royal Colleges for a performance course :lol: :lol:

7. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

You went to school with Wodger? Crikey, he never told me that!

To be fair it was his predecessors who cut the old favourite Bandstand programme. I can't help feeling that we won't get bands back on Radio 3 until we have something decent and Radio 3 ish to offer. Today that means contemporary and multicultural, two things which (with notable exceptions), bands don't do very well. Transcriptions of Les Preludes wouldn't have made it onto Bandstand, and they won't make it onto Radio 3 any more today.

If all the registered members of tMP contributed a fiver towards a fighting fund we could commission new works from the leading British Radio 3 friendly composers and we'd be there like a shot, I'm sure.

After all, no one else is going to.

D

8. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Now there's a good thought. Thomas Ades, James MacMillan, David Sawer, Judith Weir, Sir Peter Maxwell-Davies, Michael Nyman, Sally Beamish.......... who would we start with? The possibilities are endless. I'll pledge a fiver. Perhaps tmp has a role beyond just a talking shop?

9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Dave / Jim - If you want to have a think about how this might work, I am happy to out tMP's weight???? behind it...

Drop me a PM/email if you're interested...

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Listening through some old tapes the other day I actually came across a recording of the last ever edition of "Bandstand", where the announcer was full of assurances that they had other plans to feature both brass and wind bands. Granted we've had the BBC Festival of brass for a year or so, and various features on youth bands etc. but certainly not a great deal.

As for finding out when things are on, they are generally referred to in the Radio Times, and we should all endeavour to bring such broadcasts to everyone's notice, so that we can all listen and register our enjoyment and interest.

11. amgray

amgray Member

No the guy I knew was called Martin W*******n.
    Maybe a predecessor but definately in that role (unless he and his parents lied to us about his role....)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Feedback
    Radio 4
    one
    Brass band mention
    trailor - Brass Bands