Race for life (just for girlies)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Mrs Womble, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

I ran the Race for Life last year and I plan to do this again this year, and I was just wondering how many other ladies on tmp took part???

Last year 400,000 women walked, jogged or ran 5km and raised £23m for Cancer Research UK and if you fancy doing it this year then check the website out, however you can't register yet until the 1st of feb

http://www.raceforlife.co.uk

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Race for Life
    Race
    year
    life
    Cancer Research UK
  3. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I didn't (I'm about as athletic as an energetic bag of potatoes) but.... I'm going to have a think about it and hopefully try and muster up the power to do it, if not then serious sponsership will have to be given out in guilt money so feel free to hassle me if I give in to lazyness!

Did many people walk it? I really wouldn't be able to run/jog it all the way (probably not even past the start line)

4. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

i did it and i walked. Was great fun apart from the fact that it was freezing and raining. Loads of people at the Liverpool one walked it.

5. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

There are loads of people who just walk it, I did the race in Winchester on the hotest day in June!!! Some really fit bird ran the 5km in 19 mins

6. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

My mum and friends are doing it i think but i'm not allowed to join in with them :-(

7. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I intend to have a go this year. If my knees are up to it...
    BMB
    xx

8. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

Maybe we should do a Mouth Piece Team ?

9. bigmamabadger

That's not a bad idea.
    We could go somewhere fairly central like Birmingham and run/walk/crawl asa team. Maybe John could set it up so that other tMPers could sponsor us via PayPal as well as us getting our own sponsorship?
    Keen Badger, full of New Year resolutions about getting fir, losing weight and being pro-active about important stuff...
    xx

10. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

OOo now this is starting to sound like agood idea (especially as my diet was supposed to have already started and I've eaten half a box of belgian chocolates today!)
    I'm in, as long as walking/staggering is allowed! (the alternative is a 5km pub crawl?!)

11. Lisa

Lisa Member

I was thinking about doing the Bath or Bristol one...I could possibly do it in Birmingham though as its not that far away...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Race for Life
    Race
    year
    life
    Cancer Research UK
  13. Di

Di Active Member

A good many years ago, there was a "run the world" which was 6 miles. The band we were in at the time walked the route playing. Any chance of not only a team doing the walk/run as previously suggested, but playing too?

14. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

I have registered an interest on the site, so I might just do it!!

15. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

We could see how many people are interested in doing the Race for life and if there is loads of us then we could split into small teams, but if not ya we will do a run thats central to everyone.

16. bigmamabadger

I make that 7 so far...just a small group at the moment.
    BMB
    xx

17. Fergus

Fergus Member

I've taken part for the past 4 years and its always been great fun and very humbling as well. For me - it makes me realise just how well off I am.
    Would love to take part as team however Birmingham is a little far for me - I'll just stick to Glasgow, but its great to hear of more people keen to support this very worthwhle cause.

Go Girls !!!!!

18. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

For any guys who may be feeling left out on this "girls only" race, you still have the option of going along to watch. I went with Linda when she did the Winchester run and had to "endure" watching over 1000 women doing a 20 minute aerobic warm-up. :D :hammer :bounce :tup

It was tough watching 100 bodies jiggling up and down, still we all have to support our women! ;)

19. bigmamabadger

More so if they have very little of their own, eh, Roy? ;)
    BMB
    xx

20. rach marriott

rach marriott Member

I've done the Race for Life for the past 4 years. It's a great effort by thousands of women.