Race for Life 2006

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Sam Atherton, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

Are any of you other tMP ladies doing the race for life this year? I just signed up for the Portsmouth race and am already wondering what on earth I was thinking of! I realise that it's not that far but I'm not built for speed - sponsored pie eating or beer drinking may have been more appropriate!
    Anyhow, if I'm doing it I intend to run and that's going to require me getting off the sofa and doing some training. I just thought that it might be nice to compare notes with anyone else running this year. A bit of moral support, that sort of thing.

Oooh... and if any of you nice people fancy sponsoring me, you can do so here... http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/samatherton :D
  2. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

My misses did the Winchester race for life a couple of years ago, it's a good day out and for a great cause.
    Also a bit of a bonus for any guys going to lend support, the 15 minute aerobic workout involving all of the runners (about 1500 women when we went) before the race starts is not to be missed!

Good luck Sam!
  3. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

You sound like a right dirty old bloke! Mind you, I just told Tim what you said and he's suddenly alot more interested. Cancer Research could probably double their money by selling tickets...
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

bit to far to travel for that, but I will be doing the swim for diabetes in a fortnight!
  5. Steve

Steve Active Member

Wow, must be a long swim to take a fortnight Pat!!!
  6. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

My wife has run the Race for Life four times in Cardiff and three times in Hyde Park. She is really just a fun runner but also tries to start in the first quarter of the starters so that she can run the whole 5000 metres, her best time being 28.5 minutes.

I have been to all of these except one and the atmosphere is absolutely fantastic.
  7. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

I did it a few years ago, and every year since have thought about doing it again... but got no further.:oops: One of the problems being the amount of sponsor money you have to promise to raise (there's a limit to how many times you can ask the same people!!) before you can take part.
    If you do intend to run it, do make sure you leave with the 1st group to set off - I found I got hemmed in by other runners (even though I wasn't going particularly fast!)
    Is a great atmosphere though!
  8. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

The Race for Life website does a good training plan that you can download; I found the 'complete beginner' one extremely uselful! They had you starting at the most basic level and gave you 6 weeks in which you should be prepared for a 5k race.

I couldn't do it last year in the end due to prior commitments, but I am planning on trying this year again. I'm not anywhere near being a runner either, but from people I've spoken to it's just a really good atmosphere and nobody cares if you give up halfway and walk!

Good luck!
  9. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

Thanks for the advice tinytimp! Let me know if you enter this year.

I've had a look at the training plans and will do myself a copy for the fridge next time I'm near a printer. Went out for a run today and I think I may have frightened a few people who were out for a nice gentle sunday afternoon stroll! Still, I managed to do 2.5km in just under 20mins, which isn't a bad starting point.

I just feel that if I'm going to ask for peoples money then I ought to run, because I'll happily walk 5km to the pub :D .
  10. laurz_oconnor

laurz_oconnor Member

i did it last year in 37 minutes. Nearly killed me, was pouring with rain and our groups dyed tshirts turned us all blue!
  11. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Well I've finally decided to go for it! My sister and I will be running in Cardiff in June, we thought it would be a nice idea to do it together as we've both got milestone birthdays this year (18 & 21 respectively).

Whether I make it to the end in one piece is an entirely different matter...:-?
  12. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

Well afew of us from our band are doing the race for life this year in memory of Elma Ramplin, my sister in law who played in our band and sadly lost her battle with cancerin April of this year
    So we are going to try and get fit and also help a very worthwhile cause
    and maybe help eradicate this cruel and horrible disease
    Also running will be Elmas 2 girls Mel 14 and Emma 13:clap:
    please sponsor us at

many thanks
    Shaz x
  13. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

I'm running the Race for Life in Doncaster on the 25th June. This year i'm running it for my dad as we have recently found out he has Cancer.

This is my link if anyone would like to sponsor me.

thank you:) :)
  14. satchmo shaz

OMG! I have started training and now realise how unfit I am!!:oops:
    come on girls we can do it:clap:
  15. Alisop

Alisop Member

16. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

Yay! Did the run yesterday. Really enjoyed myself - the atmosphere was absolutely amazing. Good luck to everyone running over the next month or so - you can do it!
  17. satchmo shaz

well done!!:clap: Its our turn on July 9th! theres a whole gang of us from our band! I still keep training............... hope to be fit soon;)
  18. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Well done Sam! MrsWomble is doing hers in 3 weeks time, I can't wait to see those ladies doing the aerobic warmup! :clap:
  19. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

Well I did my Race for Life in Doncaster yesterday afternoon and I ran it in 32.31 mins which I'm really pleased about. Looking forward to doing it next year :clap: :clap: :clap: