Quick Promotion

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Steve, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Steve

Steve Active Member

Following our recent result at the area contest, some members of our band have been wondering if another band in recent years has risen through the tables as quickly as Raunds Temperance have? In particular, bands who have never received any sponsorship or external funding.

The band competed in the 4th section in 98 & 99 and came first in 2000, now we are 1st section champions, the progress of the band can be seen on the website. www.raundstemperanceband.co.uk

This is not blowing our own trumpet, this is a serious question and we would love to know of any other band who have done the same.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Promotion
    question
    result
    section
    funding
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I know Sovereign Brass did it many years ago and now find themselves in the Championship section. I remember when they competed in Pontins Bream Sands in the 4th section at the start of their meteoric rise.

4. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Yes, Kennedys Swinton and maybe Pennine Brass and Wire Brass round here I think.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2005
  5. thelawyer

thelawyer New Member

Yes, we (Sovereign) went straight through the sections. First year in Championship Section we won and played at RAH.
    We have had a very long wait since then to go back! Suffice it to say the Band pub was packed last night as we did not bother with a rehearsal.

Many congratulations to Raunds.

6. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Arbroath Instrumental won the Scottish 4th section in 2001, finished 2nd in the 3rd section in 2002, finished 2nd in the 2nd section in 2003, and finished 4th in the first section in 2004 - 3 succesive promotions and a super result last year in the 1st section.

Many bands in Scotland have recently won promotions in succesive years - Arbroath, Newmilns, Lochgelly, Clydebank, Johnston, Livingston and Kilmarnock spring to mind. Apologies to any I have missed ;)

7. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Rothwell Temperance did something similar, going to six national final competitions in a row:

94, 95 : Third Section
    96 : Second Section
    97, 98 : First Section
    99 : Champ Section

Tim.

8. Pav

Pav Member

What about Todmorden? They shot up through the sections didn't they?

9. trumpetmaest

trumpetmaest Member

Sellers did it. although they had a bit of an identity crisis!

Tecol, Sellers College Brass, Sellers Engineering and then Sellers International

10. trumpetmaest

trumpetmaest Member

Tod dissapeared very quickly though. Was this to do with rapid promotion. Is this one of the problems?

11. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Lockwood are on course for a similar rise. They won 4th section in 2003, 3rd section last year then last week they have won the 2nd section

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Promotion
    question
    result
    section
    funding
  13. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Beaumaris 4th and 3rd section National Champions 1991 and 1992 , Championship section by 1997 , qualifiers for National Finals ( Albert Hall )2002 , 2004. Grand Shield 2002 after 1 year senior cup.
    Point of Ayr Colliery Band 4th section 1976 - Championship Section 1980 ( 1st apperance at RAH in 1981 on Blitz playing at the North West Area ) , triple radio wales band of the year ( 1983 , 84 , 85 ) , double Leeds Open Champions , Twice Pontins Champions , Runner up CISWO Mineworkers many times , First North Wales Band to play at British Open ( 1985 / 86 / 87 / 88 / 89 / 93 / 94 )

14. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Congratulations (through gritted teeth !) on saturdays result.

How many of the band have been with you throughout the rise up the sections?

What, in your opinion, triggered the success?

Where did the players come from (Other bands? Youth band?) to

15. Ali

Ali Member

Tod went straight from the 4th section to the British Open within a 6year period. The last year and a half that the band was around, it had sponsership but when that was withdrawn due to reasons out of the bands control, the band rapidly fell apart. It wasnt down to the rapid rise of the band but down to politics that helped the bands downfall.

16. Steve

Steve Active Member

Thanks

There is one reason and one reason alone behind the success and as much as he will never admit it that reason is John Flether, the conductor. He instilled the desire, passion and will to win and his enthusiasm is infectious.

I have been there 18 months and two others have joined this year, the year before that was about the same and before that it was the same band as in 4th section. We dont have a training band / B band (yet) and all the players are just either old freinds, players that had retired and John found or people that have been their all their lives. I honestl believe the key is the full rehearsals and the will to work for each other. As a boy from the Welsh Valleys who grew up listening to Cory of the 70s, John has very clear thoughts on the way a band should sound and the way it should be run. His honesty and dedication is evident in every player that plays for him.

17. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Ashton-under-Lyne had a very rapid rise through the sections as well. They won the 3rd section, 2nd section and then 1st section nationals in consecutive years.

18. bigcol

bigcol Member

Marple?

19. Am I right in thinking that Swinton won every section at the area in consecutive years ?

Has any other band done this? Surely this is unique.

Championship Section Winners 1987 - Diversions On A Bass Theme
    2nd Section Winners 1986 - California Legend
    3rd Section Winners 1985 - A Barchester Suite
    4th Section Winners 1984 - Divertimento

20. Ali

Ali Member

Im not going to take anything away from Swintons achivements but because the Championship section was also the first section, then they cant have won every section.

21. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

Grange Moor are well on course. 1st section next year. They also have no financial backer, they raise all their own funds through hard work, especially in the run up to Christmas.

22. dyl

dyl Active Member

Off-topic I know, but I have to mention that this is true for most bands!