Questions for tuba

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Hi my name is Forrest, and I am looking for a tuba. I was wondering whether I should get a C tuba or a BBb tuba. I need one that will keep me through college. I was also wondering what are some good brands. I know the Obvious ones like Miraphone and Besson, but was also wondering of any new ones.

2. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Hi Forrest.

It depends what you plan to do with it. What sort of ensemble will you be playing in? What particular qualities in a Tuba are you looking for?

I'm sure a few folk on here will be able to help if you can elaborate a bit. ;)
  3. Right now, I play in my high school's concert and pep band. I want a tuba that will hold me through college. So right now, I'm looking at some C tubas. As for sound quality, I like the dark, warm, envoloping sound. Right now, I play a Yamaha YBB BBb tuba.
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Hi Forrest, I've moved your thread into the Rehearsal Room forum as I think more people will see it there, and that is the normal place for discussions about instruments.

As far as I know, the C tuba is the instrument of choice for many in America, whereas the EEb tends to be more popular over here in the UK. There are certainly some good C tubas on the market, and some top quality 2nd hand ones as well. Have you asked this question on any of the tuba specific forums?