Question :Under Charged for Goods Bought

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Dec 28, 2006.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

On Saturday 23 DEC my Girlfriend&I went into the local Fish &Chip shop not far from where she lives after coming from the pub spending a very nice time over 2 drinks.
    We gave our order of:
    1 Fish,Large Portion Of Chips & 1 Sausage in Batter.
    1 Fish Cake,1 Small Portion Of Chips and 1 Sausage in Batter.
    Well the young lad aged about 16 served us to them and then said
    Thats 5.90 please.
    well we came out and said he as undercharged us we worked it out by at least 1 pound.
    The question is would you have gone back in to the chip shop and told him or took no notice and said like we did
    Its his mistake so hard cheese;)
  2. Di

Di Active Member

I would have gone back in, like I did in the veg shop just below where I work a few weeks ago. Picked up a couple of packets of dates (2 for £1), then queued at the counter to buy some meat. Got the meat and discussed the ingredients of the coleslaw, paid for the meat and went back to work. Got to the top of the stairs when I realised I hadn't paid for the packets of dates! Dropped all the rest of the stuff on the desk in the office and shot back downstairs and into the shop, back in the queue and apologetically paid for the dates. They had a bit of a laugh at my expense, but they'd have been none the wiser had I not gone back, but I did. [​IMG]
  3. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

It's their mistake, they should be more careful

Cheap as chips!!!
  4. jamieow

jamieow Member

it's only a pound or so, it's not an amount of money worth worrying about is it.
    It'd be different if it was a larger amount though.
    I wouldn't worry about it.
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- maybe the chip shop was getting rid of unwanted sausages? ;)
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  6. dyl

dyl Active Member

I never knew you were such a fan of sausages Ian! You should have said something earlier!

As for the question - if I was on my way home from the pub, I doubt I'd noticed whether I was over-charged or under-charged!
  7. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

The question you have to ask yourself is, if you'd left the shop and realised you had been over-charged and you went to tell them, would they have given you back the correct change?
  8. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

You should have accepted the discount and ran out of the shop. Mrs. Dave was charged £1.97 for a bottle of Grouse last week at the local supermarket, do you think we took it back and told them they undercharged us? Nope:D
  9. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

I wouldn't say anything either, not for a small amount anyway. Although, like Di I did go back into a shop once with something I'd forgotten to pay for. I'm honest in that respect and the mistake was my own. But when they've made the mistake.... Nah. I only notice overcharges anyway :biggrin:
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Related to this is the more common problem of getting foreign coins in change. Has anybody else noticed that this is becoming more frequent?
  11. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Hmmm my friend and I had a kebab each last week, can't remenber how much it was but we paid with a £10 note, and the change was £10,06.
    We didnt notice until we were sat int he car munching away, we didn't go back to tell them, however thinking about it, had we actually paid with a £20 theres no way 2 small donner on pitta cost £9.94! Free kebabs and a 6p tip, merry christmas to all!
    However we did have rather poorly tummies the next day, not so much of a bargain after all, free laxatives!!
  12. Brassy Lady

Brassy Lady Member

If I didn't notice 'til later, would probably do nothing; but if I realised at the time would tell them, blame my upbringing!!
  13. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Fish, large chips, small chips, 2 sausages in batter and a fishcake?

What did the missus have?
  14. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

She had the other order of:small chips,1 sausage and fish cake;)
    mine was large chips,fish and sausage in batter:eek:
  15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Ha Ha Ha:biggrin:
    Nice to spot that Dyl;)
  16. vonny

vonny Member

Wow Ian you certainly know how to show a girl a good time over 2 drinks ;)
  17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Its the LOVE between us that counts and the LOVE weve built up since weve starting going out with each other,what ever we do BIG/SMALL there is always LOVE shared.
    To be honest we were both tired having been up since 3ck in the morning to be at work and after a couple of beers we were well gone and just wanted something to eat;)
    See you at BUTLINS:)
  18. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I'm afraid I'd have told them... I reckon what goes around comes around you sometimes benefit from another persons honesty. It's like giving way to someone in traffic, the favour gets returned at some point!
  19. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

I was in Thorntons the other day and paid for my goods by giving the exact pence and a fiver so I'd get pound coins for change. This however must have confused the poor girl behind the til as she gave me the pound coins plus a tenner.

I think I was so surprised that I said something straight away, or my puzzled face gave it away! If is was a small amount then I prob wouldn't have noticed but when it was so much I had to say soomething. Plus it makes you feel good for being honest.:)
  20. goosie baby

goosie baby Member

I usually tell the cashier, being the nice person that i am, and if they insist they are right with out checking then you leave them with the mistake, it was their fault after all, and you had tried to tell them.