Question about the regionals

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hellraiser, Mar 30, 2005.

1. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

When did your band start rehearsing the regional's testpiece? What section did you compete in? Thanks.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    band
    regionals
    testpiece
    Question
    section
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Short looks at test piece in January with the real work starting in February about 6-7 weeks prior to the contest. Last two weeks of that were just polishing up. We competed in the Scottish 2nd section and got second place. :)

4. NAS

NAS Member

We started on Tues Feb 8th. We played Tam:-D.

5. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

2nd week in Jan, 1st section L&SC. 10th on our first outing in the section:biggrin:

6. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

We played Tam, had a run through in September when we got the music, and put it away until after Christmas. The hard work sterted on the piece in the second week of January when band restarted after the break.

7. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

We started to look at it seriously about 2/3 weeks before the contest although we had the music before Christmas to enable home practice and we had run the piece through a few times. Championship Section.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  8. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

We started in January (we may have a had a brief look before but I can't remember that far back)

1st Section, Midlands, contest was on 5th March, so I make that about 8 weeks - 7 weeks too long as far as i am concerned, I really did'nt enjiy Comedy - not enough laughs

9. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

We had a look at Rienzi before Christmas then started working on it after the new year, played it in a concert on 19th Feb then worked on it more. We did do other things as well so that it didn't get to tedious though.

10. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

2nd section - Variations (VW)

Started looking at it 11th Jan & the band, minus me, played it at Preston on 6th Feb. Then it was put away until 22nd Feb & our areas (Northwest) were on 13th March.

We were 4th!

11. vcbjet

vcbjet Member

We got Divertimento (4th) out in January, but had concerts to prepare for so we didnt really start to properly look at it until early February. We gave it a run through at a concert two weeks before the contest and it was truly awful but we worked really hard over the next lot of rehearsals and won our section.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    band
    regionals
    testpiece
    Question
    section
  13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

2nd section - Variations Vaghan-Williams...

We started splitting the rehearsals 50:50 one and a half weeks before Butlins - then the last two rehearsals (including an extra rehearsal) were spent just on the Butlins piece. Started looking at it properly straight after so that would be the last week in Jan.

Midlands 2nd section was second week in March so I reckon we had 5 weeks solid plus a couple of bitty rehearsals on it.

14. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Straight after Preston so about four weeks, tam o shanter 3rd section Blackpool and came 4th

15. lewis

lewis Member

We did 5 rehearsals before Preston in Feb and then only did two rehearsals the week before the areas. Looking at the result we probably should have done more, I'm about to pick up the doyen recording from the post office so don't really know what it sounds like yet!

16. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Had a few run throughs earlier, but actual rehearsals with Russell were 2 half band sectionals and then the Monday before every night 'til the contest. We did ok.