Question about the Areas Test Piece CD- I Tunes??

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Kat-SSB, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Kat-SSB

Kat-SSB Member

Sorry if this has been asked before or may not even be possible but thought it was worth asking

I know when the area test piece comes out there is a CD with all the sections on which you can buy.

As this is a published CD I wondered is it possible to get it onto I Tunes so that people could purchase the 1 piece they were interested in.

I just thought if it was possible to do this and charge say £1.99 for the piece you wanted there would be a bigger uptake for the music company who make the CD then selling copies of all sections which then surely get passed from person to person within the bands?

I don't really know how I tunes works but was interested to see if this could be done?

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

It'll probably make it on to World of Brass Tunes eventually.....same sort of thing as iTunes....

I'm sure Carl will be along shortly with an eta ;)

3. KMJ Recordings

....Having said that, it doesn't appear that any of them are on there....not sure who owns the rights to them....

4. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

They actually refer to the piece as "English Usage" and annoyingly you can't buy it alone - only as the whole album for £7 despite the fact that you can buy, e.g. Royal Parks from the same cd for 79p per movement :(

5. KMJ Recordings

You can get a live one for £1.60 from here - not listened to it though.

6. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

The English Heritage album (Dyke/King) is on Napster too (also, with the track English Usage!). Not sure, but think you can buy individual tracks as a 'light' subscriber.

7. Kjata

Kjata Member

It would be so convient if 4br did sell mp3's. Most of us buy CD's like the regionals from 4br so it should be too hard to do??

8. KMJ Recordings

It's a relatively simple thing to do....you just need the shop front end, the hosting service and the appropriate software for enocding and uploading and then the backroom software for auditing the sales for thr MCPS (the licencing can be a bit fiddly as it can have an upfront payment based on projected sales)....last time I spoke to someone about similar stuff I was informed there's an integrated package that enables you to go from source recording to sale in under an hour....including the artwork...and it'll provide the audit teports for the JOL as well.

The question is really about money and, in reality, potential profit margins.

In terms of gross profit it's likely that - currently at least - selling physical units is the way to get the best returns for the initial investors. You need to take the idea that it's a niche and fairly closed market in to consideration as well

However, once you've sold the initial rush of whatever CD it is - or indeed all the initial manufacture - it may be more economic to offer the release for download...you'll mop up stragglers who only want bits as above or potentially open up new markets who don't want to pay as much for P+P as the CD...you could offer whole CD download at the same time as the physical units, but it'd possibly damage the sales of the latter...or go for download only, but then you'd alienate anyone who wants a proper CD.

It's a good way of exploiting a back catalogue and making more money of the back of it...it's bad news for the Bands concerned though if they're tring to sell the same CDs at concerts etc...

So there's a lot more to consider than convenience ;)

9. KMJ Recordings

...Oh, and anyone who wanted to offer the tracks for download would have to negotiate the appropriate rights for them...and they might not come cheap....

10. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Areas Test Piece
    I Tunes
    Areas Test Piece CD
    published CD
    area test piece
  11. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

You can listen to English Heritage on Last FM, it's the David King, Black Dyke Mills recording and again they've called it English Usage.

12. Kjata

Kjata Member

As in apple last fm??

13. KMJ Recordings

Sounds like they've all ripped the CD Text or the ISRC entry is wrong.

14. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Not quite true; the 2nd movement can't be downloaded separately, only as part of the whole album download, which is £4.78. Since you can also buy the CD itself for £4.78, and the whole CD is a cracking compilation, all superbly played, I can't see why anyone would choose to pay for rubbish MP3 quality instead ...

15. KMJ Recordings

:)

Welcome to the iPod generation Gareth ;)

16. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Our store host seems to be up against it at the moment as we're still waiting for our British Open releases to appear in store, along with Regionals 2010. It may be that they'll appear in store along with our RAH Nationals releases at this rate!

17. KMJ Recordings

Put some more coal on the fire ;)