Queens Birthday Honours

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alanl58, Jun 11, 2005.

1. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Any Brass Band personalities feature in this year's Birthday Honours?

If not, we should all search out that long suffering Composer, MD, Secretary, Player or Supporter who freely give their time and energy, and without whom Banding would be a sadder place, and propose them for at least an MBE in next year's list!

2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

What a good call.

(Then we could nominate all the idiots behind the London Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham's parking policies (that make driving to band an absoulte nightmare) for the dishonour awards!)
  3. Boneman

Boneman Member

Does Terry Wogan count ?
  4. Sharpy

Sharpy Member

When they first opened up the Honours list one of my old conductors from Porthywaen, John Pugh, was awarded an MBE. There are a few others too Ian Clague from the Isle of Man is another but it would definatly help Brass Bands get into the public eye.
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Has Peter Parkes got a royal gong yet?
  6. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

There are at rather a few I believe...

Hugh Johnstone MBE recieved his award for his serviced to Dalmellington and the Scottish Brass Band movement in general (I'm sure someone will be able to clarify that one) and Andrew Keatchie MBE - head of brass in East Ayrshire and a founder member of Kilmarnock Concert Brass. Gordon Evans I believe has also been awarded the MBE.

It is always good to see the general public being awarded, especially when many of them give up so much time for the enjoyment of others.
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Bandmaster James Williams of the Enfield Corps was awarded the MBE (I think!) a year or so back.
  8. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

As was Michael Clack, who was the Bandmaster of Chalk Farm Salvation Army Band for many years (though his MBE was for his work in music education at Colchester Institute of Further Education).

Harry Mortimer and Eric Ball were both awarded the OBE.

I think that Elgar Howarth is long overdue an award.
  9. cjconnor24

cjconnor24 Member

I believe Nigel Boddice has been awarded an MBE.
  10. Steve

Steve Active Member

Sod the queens honours list, some of them seem about as deserved as one of Sven Goran Erriksons England caps!!!! Do our own, I am sure we know a damn site more about these peoples services than she does! Nominations on a postcard.
  11. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I nominate the man/woman who invented the postcard!
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

You are aware though yeah, that the tMP gallery allows you to send any submitted image to anyoe you choose - as an e-card!!!

Simply select the image you wish to send, then from the Image Tools drop down menu, select Send as E-Card, fill in the details requested and hey presto, an e-card gets on its way to your lucky recipient.

How's that!:biggrin:
  14. Steve

Steve Active Member

Please realise this is not saying Nigel didnt deserve his MBE, he certainly does
  15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Nigel Boddice is a ex GRESLEY CORNET PLAYER and still comes down to our band when he can, also his dad DES is our Bands President.
    Us at Gresley are very highly pleased for him to get this award as he is a great person to know,also when he comes down to the band he either plays with the band or conducts the band, its a great honour for us, to be conducted by him.
    Well done and many congratulations go to him for getting his M.B.E.:clap:

Ian Perks
    Publicity Officer Gresley Old Hall Band