Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by lewis, Mar 25, 2005.

1. lewis

lewis Member

A quartet from our band is thinking about taking part in the British Open Quartet contest in November. I was hoping a friendly tMp'er could let me in on some information as I've never done a quartet contest.

Have long do you have to play for?
    Do you have to play any particular pieces? (i.e. marches)
    Can you use more than one instrument?

If anybody knows the answer to my questions I would really appreciate you sharing your knowledge.
  2. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I think there will be a time limit in the rule book for the open somewhere. I know the solo competition has a time limit of about 7 minutes in the first stage and 12 in the final. Not sure on the quartets but I'd assume there is one.
  3. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Senior Quartet Championship Rules

1. Members of each quartet must be bona fide members of the same band and each hold a current Registration card, which must be produced at the Competition. Quartets of all trombones will be allowed to borrow one trombone from another band.
    2. No player will be permitted to play with more than one quartet party.
    3. Contest Registration forms containing usual details: Names, Registration Number and Signatures, must be submitted to the Contest Secretary on the day of the competition. The Contest Sheet must be signed before the performance commences.
    4. If less than ten entries are received, then the Section will be withdrawn.

Maybe not then! :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  4. lewis

lewis Member

Thanks. I can't believe there isn't some sort of time limit though?