Quartet recommendations

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MichaelA, Jan 2, 2010.

1. MichaelA

MichaelA New Member

I'm looking for advice on suitable quartets (2 cornets, horn and euph) for young players currently in section 2 bands taking part in a solos and quartets competition. Any suggestions?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

How about the usual ones ... Elegy & Rondo (Vinter), Foursome for Brass (Anthony Spurgin?) or the arrangement of Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik?
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Others I remember suitable for younger players were the classical arrangements by John Faulds. Tchaikovsky is the only title I can think of just now (as it's been quite a few years since I last played them).
  4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

5. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

If you take a look at the Obrasso website you will find a number of pieces suitable for contest purposes which also show their approximate level of technical difficulty (A to E). Composers include Goff Richards and Alan Fernie whose styles I imagine young players would find accessible.
  6. Mode For....

Mode For.... Member

Take a look at the quartets from Mode for by logging on to www.modeforpublishing.co.uk - or why not enquire about having one especially written for your quartet by Simon Kerwin for the new contest season? You may be surprised by the cost and you get a bespoke work for your quartet to wow the judges with.
    Drop us an e-mail at info@modefor.co.uk
    Last year Simon wrote several works for competing ensembles, all of which found favour with judges, players and audiences alike.
    Best wishes and Good Luck!
  7. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Member

Hi The best quartet ever was Con Brio written by Keith Wardle, you will need a very good Euph as the range is high, I had this in manuscript many years ago, but if you track down Keith I am sure he will sort you out. We played this many times at contests and won every time many years ago now though.
  8. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Simon is a great arranger/writer. Im surprised we dont see more of his pieces,
  9. Mode For....

Mode For.... Member

Absolutely Donna - and now over 200 of his pieces for brass band, concert band and ensemble are available in the Mode for...catalogue with the new website at www.modeforpublishing.co.uk being launched this week and plenty new works and projects in the pipeline! That's on top of the hundreds of pieces published elsewhere!
  10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Sadly, Keith passed away last year - link
  11. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I look forward to playing them wherever i play. Thanks Tabby.
  12. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Mozart's 'Ave Verum' is beautiful as a quartet. Published by Tierolff Muziekcentrale in Holland and arranged by Andre Lemarc - I'm sure available through the usual stockists. It also has Cesar Franck's Panis Angelicus included - don't be fooled by how easy it looks, but it's stunning played well. :D
  13. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I'd take a trip to 'Mode for...'

They've got some brilliant stuff for quintet, so imagine it will be the same story for quartet. Brilliant, quick service too : )

Also - Timepiece by Peter Graham is a good'un.
  14. Mode For....

Mode For.... Member

Thanks Jess - new stuff on the new website too - take a look - hopefully it's going live this week to buy direct from website! :)
  15. euphsrock

euphsrock Member

I agree, timepiece is an awesome piece for quartet. I did it with my quartet whilst in my third year of uni for our assessed ensemble exam.

Might be a tad hard for 2nd section group though? Not sure.