Quartet Contests

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ben.gernon, Mar 21, 2004.

1. ben.gernon

ben.gernon Member

I have just set up my own brass quartet of which I am going to conduct, (two cornets, baritone and eb bass/bass trombone) and all 4 of them are superb players. Does anyone know of any upcoming quartet contests, or where I can get info of them from? I presume they work the same as normal contests-i.e. are there different sections? Also, does anyone know of any quartet contest pieces?

Any help please?!! Thanks.

2. tim

tim Member

I htink the typical one that is used is Divertimento by our own Philip Sparke which i haven't heard but its meant to be very good!

3. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

the pagannini variations quartet is v good too. forgot who arranged it.

4. Sam Atherton

Sam Atherton Member

There are 3 Vinter quartets that are good for contests, as well Timepiece by Peter Graham. I think there was a thread about this a while ago.
    Can't help you with contests, I'm afraid. The SCABA quartet contest is really good, but in February, and probably a bit too far to travel from Shropshire!

5. Di

Di Active Member

The Leicestershire Brass Band Association Solo and Quartet Contest is on 25th April. The closing date is today, but I have included a link with a phone number. An early call tomorrow might be able to get you in, they're a friendly helpful crowd!

http://www.harrogate.co.uk/harrogate-band/indexlk9.htm

6. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Elland silver band run an excellent quartet contest as part of there slow melody, PM for details of the organiser

Elland is near halifax W. Yorks, sorry you didn't say where you are from??

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

You may find that there are few to choose from for your particular group, as most quartets are arranged for 2 cnt, hn & euph. You might need to cultivate a tame composer/arranger from somewhere, but I hope you're successful, as quartet and other chamber group playing is tremendous fun, and helps develope much-needed skills in playing together.

8. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

Joseph Horowitz. Wasn't that long ago, surely?

9. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

I think all the pieces mentioned so far are for the "standard" 2 cornets/horn/euph line up, so wouldn't work (unless your bass and bari are up for transposing and have fantastic lips!). When I was on bari we couldn't find any decent quartets for that line-up, so you may struggle a bit :(

I think PB's right - and there's certainly enough composers on here so hopefully you'll get someone to put pen to paper for you. Good luck with it!

10. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

ah yup that was it.
    and you know how bad my memory is :p

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    quartet contests
    players
    bass
    trombone
    sections
  12. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Are you allowed to have a "conducted" quartet?

13. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

i played with a besses quartet at the elland slow melody contest, and most of the other quartets had conductors.. i would consider it more of a hinderance to be fair, but anyhow... at the results there was a prize for the winning quartet conductor!!!! so when they asked who our conductor was at the end (they obviously hadnt been watching) we said "him" and pointed to one of our mates in the audience who had come watching.. made him get up to receive it, and he got it engraved and everything :D

14. ben.gernon

ben.gernon Member

Cheers Guys-thanks for your help! I will get in touch with some composers about different arrangments e.t.c. Thanks for all the advice-it is purely to start me off on my conducting experience, but also for the players to gain a lot from it too (I hope)! I'm sure it will be good fun and it should be a valuable learning experience for all involved!

Thank you!

15. Di

Di Active Member

ooop :oops: Got a week ahead of myself there. The closing date for this one is 27th March.

16. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

The Oxfordshire and District BBA solos and quartets is on Sunday 2nd May. For more details, ring association chairman Martin Taylor on 01235 764218.

Dave

17. Quartet Contest

If you don't mind something untested, you might look at Circus Suite. It is scored originally for trumpet, horn, trombone(euphonium) and tuba, so the transposition shouldn't be that far off. Email me if you are interested. Thanks.

Ken Friedrich