Quality Signings at Tredegar

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by Tredegarboy, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Tredegarboy

Tredegarboy Member

Tredegar Town Band are pleased to announce the signing of Stephen Barnsley on soprano cornet. Steve is one of the elite soprano players in the movement and the band are delighted that he has chosen to play with them.

Steve Ruck, who was playing soprano, has moved onto the front row whilst the Band welcome the return of Dai Thomas (2nd Cornet) from Parc & Dare and the addition of Steve Barnett (Percussion) from Cwmaman. Steve Barnett is the second Percussion signing is as many months with Alun McNeil-Watson having joined before the Grand Shield.

Further changes see Dewi Griffiths (former assistant principal cornet with YBS Band) move from flugel horn to principal cornet, Rhian Linney move to bumper up and Louise Edgar move to Repiano. The signing of these quality players, and internal movements, is latest development in the ongoing improvement of the Band and a further announcement will be made shortly regarding the flugel seat.

I would like, on behalf of the Band, to thank both Steve Ruck and Rhian Linney for their cointinued commitment, quality playing, enthusium and professionalism and all at Tredegar look forward to a successful future.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2007
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hey Mark - you have a fine set of players there, good luck to you. I played with Steve Barnsley (if it the same guy) when he was with Stanshawe Sun Life, and Steve Ruck.. well ex Grimey front row yeah...? and certainly a class act.

The third Steve... Stevie B on percussion - awesome player indeed. Ask him for marks out of ten for African Waltz... :)

Finally.. one heck of a Bass trom section too matey... :)
  3. Tredegarboy

Tredegarboy Member

John - not sure if Steve Barnsley played at Sun Life but he has won the National and two Opens with Cory. Steve Ruck played principal cornet with us, many years ago, before moving onto Grimey whilst in college. Both top quality players !

Yes Stevie B is a class act and a great addition to an expanding percussion section which includes Alun McNeil-Watson, Phill Budd and Adrian Evans.

Watch this space as further quailty signings will be announced shortly !!!
  4. TheMusicMan

Ahhh... I have got names mixed up and am thinking possibly of a Steve with a similar name - is it Barsnbley or something... what a class player he is/was.
  5. banger

banger New Member

Hi John,

It is the same Steve Barnsley that played at Sun Life..

Thank you John

6. TheMusicMan

Hey Steve.... thanks for the clarification, and I guess you remember African Waltz then eh!!
  7. banger

banger New Member

Yeah, remember it well, The Dolman Newport!
  8. TheMusicMan

... and nearly as good marks as Torville & Dean had eh! :)
  9. New Trumpet Boy

New Trumpet Boy New Member

Can't wait, it sounds like youhave strides in securing new players.

Do you have sponsorship now? Bringing in players of quality usually means handing over the bucks.
  10. Tredegarboy

Tredegarboy Member

Well those days are over at Tredegar. We are not sponsored and raise all our own money !
  11. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

I've heard a rumour that Andrea Lewis is coming back to Tred to fill the vacant Flugel position. Any truth in this ?
  12. Tredegarboy

Tredegarboy Member

As I said at the top of this thread, an accouncement regarding the flugel seat will be made shortly.
  13. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

A lovlier person and player you could not hope to meet.........please stay at Parc, Andrea!!!
  14. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

Isn't funny how players are always sucked in to bands going to the National Finals?! But do they end up staying? What happened to players just staying with a band rain or fall?
    I really feel for Cwmaman Band having lost all those players.
    Success will always swing in roundabouts.
  15. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

I agree with you Martyn, players tend not to stick around when you're up against it.

We are only 4 players short and have a few options available to us.

See our thread 'Vacancies at Cwmaman' for details on what's available and how to contact us.
  16. TheMusicMan

That's just the thing with banding... it is undoubtedly swings and roundabouts. Sometimes the duration of the swings lasts longer than others, sometimes unfortunately - they don't.

C'est la vie I guess.
  17. sop 1

sop 1 Member

And Sometimes Slides! Haha
  18. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

Is that you Mr Eddy?

How did your audition go with Polysteel?
  19. sop 1

sop 1 Member

tell u wot tim,concentrate on ur own band and not stirring up trouble in others!!!!!!!