Quality or Quantity??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by gmankb, May 30, 2004.

1. gmankb

gmankb New Member

Would you rather have someone there for very rehearsal or someone better in just before the contest or concert? THOUGHTS???????

2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

bums on seats is the key. If you can fill the band and they regularly turn up the quality will surely eventually follow.

Just sitting beside the same players all the time improves your playing cos you get used to listening to them and playing as a band rather than a bunch of bandsmen.

Quantity.

3. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

I agree with 2md all the way. would much rather be part of a 4th section band where everyone turns up all the time with perhaps the odd practice missed, than a champ band where everyone turns up occaisionally, and there is never a full band before the week before the contest.

4. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Speaking as someone who used to be the last minute seat filler, I prefer the dedicated person who is there every performance. The constant rehearsal, hearing each part over and over provides you with an intimate knowledge of what the piece and the conductor are expecting. Even the world's greatest musician filling in last minute may do something differently to how the Big Guy wishes it to be!

5. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Definately the full band, no saint myself but being part of a band which has a 99.9% full-band attendance is so much more fun than half a band each week which is filled with deps just before the concert/test

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Full band!!

7. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

Quality v Quantity

There is nothing more irritating than going over the same points week after week in order to accomodate late attenders and deps. Much practice time is wasted. I would advocate that the section leader makes written notes of what the conductor wants, checks these with the conductor, and sees that the late attender/dep gets them,along with a copy of the music before attending. Of course this is only really possible in detail for contests.
    Spanky

8. McChambo

McChambo Member

Quantity. There is nothing worse than travelling a fair distance, only to see the same 'hardcore' attending a rehearsal. We used to have a conductor who said he "couldn't do anything with an empty chair". That sums it up for me.

9. tim

tim Member

Its got to be quantity because quality will follow as other people have said. But also your not going to enjoy it if you have a completely different band each week because the social side of the band doesn't develop and most people do it for the fun social aspect of playing.

10. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Erm, wonder who that was?! :wink:

Full band. I've been in bands were attendance was poor and there is no way to get motivated. The co-op nowadays has excellent attendance and the band is doing very well and the spirit is high.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Quality
    Quantity
    contest
    concert
    rehearsal
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Repeating what everyone else has said really.....

Definately "bums on seats" you can't do anything who someone who isn't there no matter how good they are.

13. Majoresteve

Majoresteve Member

i would agree! if there quantity, then quality is sure to follow, given enough time and the right MD!

14. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Re: Quality v Quantity

For deps, agreed. But if you're talking about late/poor attenders I would haved thought that just sends the message that not turning up is ok. I'd rather they get their bums on the seats and make their own notes!

15. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

Quality v Quantity

Alex, If the reasons for late/poor attendance are unacceptable this is a matter for the Band Manager/Section Leader.But whatever the reason for not being present you still have to minimise the waste of time. I am sure that if someone thought thatthe Band had a laisser-faire attitude to attendance they might take advantage.
    Spanky

16. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

Quantity v Quality

Sorry I meant-- Accidental
    Spanky