Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by hellraiser, Mar 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Please excuse my ignorance, but do adjudicators need to go through some kind of a qualifying process before being allowed to judge a brass band contest? If so, what kind of things get tested and how tough is it to qualify?
  2. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Square pegs and round holes...
  3. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

4. Chris Sanders

I mean, it cant be that difficult to pass... Have you seen the monkeys they have at some contests... They should'nt be in boxes, they should be in cages...

I have been to many contests and played appaullingly and been given a placing...

Plus, remarks, how often do adjudicators give useless remarks... Rather than good this and poor that... How about some constructive criticism...

Adjudicators should have at least grade 8 in both performance and theory and have relevant experience to the contest... For example, to judge the european, he should have previously won the competition as either a player or preferably a conductor...

Rant over...
  5. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

Thanks for your opinion but you haven't really answered my question...
  6. Chris Sanders

Sorry... I mean yes, My dad tells me, in order to become an adjudicator, you must sit through a contest in a separate box to the official adjudicator and sum up your own reckoning... (this does not in anyway affect the result of the contest) Then after the contest is over the qualified adjudicators remarks and placings are compared to the trainee's... If close enough, you pass...
  7. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

There are already several threads addressing this problem. But the most recent debate can be found here:

As not to repeat ourselves I'll lock this thread and any further discussions can be continued from the link above.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.