Qualifications and Skills (and Relevance)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Jan 15, 2008.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

OK, so who on here has the most qualifications?

Who has the highest rated music degree?

Who has any other seriously highly rated qualifications?

Who has any skills for which there are no qualifications?

Who has the most useless qualification?

Who do you know who has few or no qualifications but outstrips every body else you know in terms of knowledge and intellect?

I'll start.

No Music Degree.

A level Music 'A' (Bluffed my way through history of Music, being able to argue that
    Sullivan's music in the Savoy Operas was a good example of just about anything!)

AB Grade 8 Bass Clef Tuba with Merit (127, but only got 6 out of 21 on the sight reading)

AB Grade 6 Theory Maximum of 99 out of 99. (Didn't get the "medal" because some pesky nine year old did the same thing in the same sitting!)

Special Skills
    • "You can obviously write a melody" (A well renowned adjudicator)
    • "Blimey I never expected the march to be that good!" (Satchmo Shaz)
    • Sending emails referring to an attachment without actually sending the attachment
    • Knowing and using 17 different ways to mis-type Government
    • Grammar Guru
    • (Despite the grade 8 debacle) Sight reading and transposing fluently (in flat keys...)
    • Being able to play pianissimo on the trombone
    • Problem Solving
    • Common sense approach to computers

Mostly? None at all. But I know the odd useful thang.

2. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

I find that a bit hard to even get close to never mind beat.
    Musical qualifications, zilch on paper! However have got to second cornet, and working on moving up eventually.
    Driving steam engines, well I do have some paper for that (see my thread "Slippy Conditions)
    Electrician, a bit, but like you, poor in actual examinations passed, but made up for that with experience (Just as you have) I now work as electrical and mechanical chief engineer in the plastics business.
    Computers, problem solving, general getting around in the world is by common sense only.
  3. lilz

lilz Member

Well..couldnt be bothered to work at AS levles so got a D im music..which i thought was quite good for no work
    failed grade 5 theory as i didnt work in that at all so never got to take grades past 5 on instruments
    BUT now im doing music technology at college and 1st time ever enjoying working..
    so the plans to work well hard, get well good, go uni and replace simon cowell ...mwahahaha

i have lots of useless certificates tho:
    junior spots leader award ( only did it because all my friends did and didnt want to be left in regular lessons by meself :p)
    poem published-thats not an qualification though..just a pretty peice of paper
    lots of achievments certificates from schools saying thankyou for the music in mass :) from when i was about 7
    charity work...always good to have, even if i didnt last a week because i got ill/exhausted lol

ye i dont have mach qualifications at all...but in 17 and back to education so hey ho :D

i have 8 c+ gcse's also ( thought i had better add that as i was sounding a bit dumb and not caring lol)
  4. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

BA(Hons) from Anglia Polytechnic University (Now Anglia Ruskin University) - Drinkers Degree/Desmond (2:2)

'A' level Music - D - Absolutely hated all the writing and harmonising stuff, did really well at performance though!

GCSE Music - A* - pretty good I thought seeing as I spent 2 of the 4 weekly periods playing cards!

AB Grade 8 Bb Cornet with Merit (Did really badly at the Aural...my voice couldn't decide what it was doing at the time)

AB Grade 5 Theory - Can't even remember what mark I got, think I just about scraped through...only did it so I could do my Grade 8 practical (skipped 6 & 7)
    Special Skills

Can't think of any really....I play in a brass band and I can actually swing, rather than playing everything remotely jazzy with a similar bounce to the archers :tongue:

Pretty good at playing loud and high, can also play low and quiet, high and quiet, low and loud if required!
  5. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Cycling proficiency cert! (although i'm too fat to balance a bike now!) I once got 10 out of 10 on a french grammar test (wrote the answers on my fat knees...genius!)
  6. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Grade 5 (Tenor Horn :oops: )

'O' Level Music - B

City & Guilds (Electrical)

ONC Mechanical Engineering

HNC Electrical Engineering

Left school at 16 because I did'nt want to do any more exams, 6 years later I was still going to colledge, got that wrong somehow.
  7. lilz

lilz Member

haha thats why my sports leader award was so comedic cos im fat so everyone was shocked that i wanted to do extra p.e and put effot in etc
    rather work harder than be a loner in p.e :D
    my teachers were well shocked that i did it...also very proud tho lol
  8. dizzy068

dizzy068 Member

Well the most relevant ones I have are probably English Speaking Board Exams and Ballet medals!! - I got loads of badges in the Brownies too!

Musically, Grade 8 Euph with merit, A Level Music, Drinking Woman's degree in BA(Hons) Band Musicianship )2:2!

MA - Library & Information Management

10 years experience working at the Royal Northern College of Music

I now put all of this to really good use in my job.........as a police officer :)
  9. louise0502

louise0502 Member

Um, studying for a degree in Maths and Psychology - I should be revising!
    A in AS music (only took it up in my third year) AAAB in A-levels and AAA in other AS-levels.
    A in GCSE music (which I am still bitter about - I wanted an A* :( - although, I did do one of my recorded solos on the xylophone lol.)
    Grade 8 euph, trombone, theory
    Also, very proud that I failed my grade 8 singing!

Although, I have to say that I've never had a job in my life, which I'm not proud of. Think I'd be better off with experience in a job than with any amount of qualifications. Of course qualifications and experience would be even better, but I'm lazy!
  10. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

No musical training whatsoever [and those that have heard me play believe it!]

Lots of useless Certs that are of no use in the real world. One from the SBS for 'Explosive and Forced Methods of Entry', that I'm particularly proud of. ;)
  11. David Mann

David Mann Member

The only musical qualification I have is for an instrument I'd never play in public - Grade 3 piano.
  12. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I applied for a job in MacDonalds when I was at uni and I coudn't fit all the qualifications I had on the application form! LOL

(Not being big headed here, there was about a 3cm gap to write them in)
  13. lilz

lilz Member

ooo i forgot ive got grade 1 piano :D always comes in useful
    grade 2 got wayyy too hard lol so i gave up
  14. sunshine

sunshine Member

Grade 8 violin (very useful in a brass band)
    Grade 5 theory
    BA(Hons) Music

Failed my cycling proficiency tho - hard to do with a broken arm!

Sunshine x
  15. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

qualified piano tuner

qualified hypnotherapist

special skills; erm...quite good at sudoku...

none of the above relevant for brass bands
  16. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

"O" level music (had to abandon "A" level half way through the course, when moving to a new area, different examination board, and different set of set works :mad: )

No other musical qualifications, grades etc, apart from Forces Trade Test, Level 2 ;)

"A" level French and maths, occasionally useful at work, although vocabulary is lacking due to lack of regular use :(

Various "O" levels and short courses, the only one which could really become relevant is probably the First Aid at Work, although the terrorism awareness courses bring the reality of work in the City rather close to home!
  18. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Whilst in the Army, my bandmaster had FAMD after his name - which apparently stood for non many musical diplomas!
    Only got to what they called A1 in the army as a music qualification. Spent 5 long years on an Open University MBA which I am more proud of having attained in my 40's whilst holding down a full time job. (My teachers would be very surpised as I left with just 4 O levels).
    Also have the cycling proficiency PLUS the News of The World "Knight of the Road" badge and cert!
    My brother has a Blue Peter badge though.
  19. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

BA(Hons) in History , a "Gentleman's" degree at 2(2) !!

R.G.N.( Adults) , Dip.H.Ed .

Post-grad certs in Intensive Care , Coronary Care and Teaching .

Grade 5 Euphonium and Grade 2 Theory - was put in for G7 but my music teacher allegedly did not realise you had to do G5 Theory and by then I was well into my O levels and did not have the time , nor to be honest at that age the inclination . Did not do O level music as unavailable as an option - very small comprehensive school ( since shut ) with a less than glorious academic record !

Next up is likely to be a work-related MBA / MSc , I'm flying a desk at Trust HQ now so not doing hands-on clinical work anymore , and I am in the procurement / purchasing side of things .

BUT if and when I get the time I am seriously thinking about an OU / other music qualification , particularly to get my theory knowledge up to scratch and to get a better understanding of musical development generally .
  20. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

7 O levels
    2 CSEs
    2 HCFE (A level equivalant)
    NVQ Customer services

Can't remember the names of the things but I'm also qualified in Theatrical and Media make up and Professional cake decoration.

I also make cards, knit, crochet, sew and cook.

I tend to be in demand for Halloween (horror make up), when anyone is pregnant (so I can knit and & crochet for them) and whenever a cake is needed or somebody just requests one (don't they John)