Putting Unleaded in a Diesel car

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Robhibberd29, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

My rather silly friend put unleaded fuel in his big shiny diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland.
    What a fruit bat! I would like to ask:

a) Who will be the first person to guess correctly who it is
    b) Has anyone else done this and been as silly as him?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland.What
    Diesel
    Diesel car
    big shiny diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    unleaded fuel
  3. wkt

wkt Member

Yes, I did it once - full to the brim. Brain switched on as soon as I closed the petrol cap. Had to push the car off the fourcourt with the steering lock on.

4. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

Beleive it or not on the first outing of our band van to the Masters at Cambridge, someone mentioning no names put unleaded in a diesel transit. Fortunately for us it was only 100yds from the rehearsal room and we could unload it while we waited for the AA to pump the tank out.

5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Was he in Australia at the time? There's some defence if that was the case. :rolleyes:

6. Robhibberd29

Well almost........Nottingham!

7. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I'm guessing Shaggy

8. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

It even happens to the 'professionals'!

Linky

9. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

Brassneck

Oh no, he's too smart to do that!

10. Robhibberd29

First Prize!! He he :clap:

11. cate.b

cate.b New Member

Yes i have done that, only two quid or so, a nice man told me to fill it to the brim with diesel and it will mix. And no problems since. Still got the car and it has just clicked up 210.000 miles.

Not bad ehh.

Cate

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland.What
    Diesel
    Diesel car
    big shiny diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    unleaded fuel
  13. Bungle

Bungle Member

I've done the diesel in a petrol car. I realised before I started the engine, so got it transported home and pumped the tank out. Car was OK.

14. cate.b

cate.b New Member

Apparently it does mix though, Diesel with unleaded cars however does not. My stupid ex ran a diesel car with unleaded and it cost him his car, it got broke. But unleaded mixed with diesel in a diesel car is good, more diesel than unleaded obviously. lol

Cate

15. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Looks like his 'break' from tMP will carry on until the heat dies down then

16. Robhibberd29

Maybe shaggy will feel obliged to post to this thread in order to defend himself. I'm sure it will be someone's fault! Probably mine! Yes, I just happend to be walking through his own town with a can of unleaded when....!

17. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Oh dear, that probably turned out to be a costly mistake. A friend of mine had a diesel VW Golf and he put petrol in it. Ended up costing him in the region of £200

18. Di

Di Active Member

I've put diesel in my unleaded car (my previous one, not my lovely current one [103500 miles and just had it's first repair outside of routine servicing!!] :D). Fortunately, I noticed as I read the receipt on the way out of the garage, so didn't start it. I called the RAC who rescued my car and took it to my local garage. It didn't cost toooo much to drain and clean the tank before I could refill with unleaded. :rolleyes: Doh!

19. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

It's less expensive if you realise before you start the engine, because the tank can usually be pumped out and flushed with diesel without major stripping down. Once you've tried to start the engine and sent UL through the diesel injectors, you're in a world of pain.:mad: Apparently it's not so much the fuel itself as the abrasive engine cleaners that are routinely added to UL petrol which cause the damage.

One of my colleagues put diesel in a petrol van once; he'd got about £10 in before I realised what he was doing and stopped him. It's less of an issue that way round, he brimmed the tank with unleaded to dilute the diesel and it ran OK. Created some serious clouds of black smoke on the way down Oldham Road while the diesel burnt off though :rolleyes:

20. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I've heard of that before. It'll save a few pennies instead of having to get your tank scraped

21. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

My daughter put £2.00 of unleaded into my diesel once, I was advised by my mechanic just to fill with dieel and it would do the injectors the world of good and give them a good clean. ran the car for a further 60000 miles after with no apparent harm done.

22. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

I put £60 of petrol in our van about 6 months ago, (think I started a thread about it too!), I realised just as I was putting the nozzle back in the pump, doh! The garage where I used to work is accross the road so I got a tow over and drained the tank myself.

Used all the petrol for the quad bike, strimmer and lawnmower, so wasnt a complete disaster, but with the rip-off price of fuel in this country, its not the best thing to do!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.