Put It AWAY!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JesTperfect!, Dec 12, 2007.

1. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

We recently bought a whole load of christmas music, only to play it once, realise it was shocking and then put it away, never to be played again.

A few years ago, the youth band bought an arrangement of 'It's Raining Men'-suffice to say it never saw the light of a concert hall!!

Just wondering if anyone else had any similar musical-type disasters?!

Oh and guys-just to be kind-let's try not name the composer/arranger, hey? It's not nice to be publically humiliated!!

Just the title will do!
  2. cate.b

cate.b New Member

in a band i was playing there was a sliding type of instrument player who would insist on bring his own arrangments to band to 'try them out on us' sufficed to say they were train recks until on came and it had a familiar ring to it, he had nicked an arrangment frim another composer and just altered it slightly. lol and only slightly. thank god it wasn't too much like a train wreck as the rest.
  3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Most lower section test-pieces! C'mon, has anybody played any 4th section test-pieces in a concert? I would be surprised if they had.
  4. Bass Trumpet

Glad it wasn't me!

Notice that you are new to our wonderful forum!
  5. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Malcom Arnold's Little Suite for Brass was used as a fourth section test piece not THAT long ago....and I've played it at a concert in Symphony Hall with NYBB!!
    But apart from that, yes, I take your point. Completly agree!!
  6. Bass Trumpet

Some exceptions, of course. I suppose Arnold's Little Suite is considered more of a 'classic' choice for bands that year. A bit like the 4th section bands using Indian Summer a few years back. As an arranger and very occasional composer, I agree it is really difficult to produce something that everybody likes. There's nothing more dreadful than spending months on a piece only to get it rubbished by the players trying to make 'humourous' comments during the play-through. I suppose that's where Sibelius has made it easier - you can spot mistakes and inconsistencies before you get it played!
  7. cate.b

cate.b New Member

lower section test pieces at concerts

I was a youngster when i played to death a little know test piece for the fourth section called Stantonbury festival. Can't even remeber who composed it, we started rehearsal before christmas and played it at all of the concerts until march areas, our lovely conductor an ex dyke man got the band to know the piece near enough off by heart.

Till this day i can remember how it goes. we didn't do too well at areas there was 28 bands in the contest. Big sections in those days

8. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

We've done the last movement of St Austell Suite in a concert!
  9. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

A few disasters with a couple of bands including:

- Mambo Number 5
    - you say it best, when you say nothing at all
    - Soul Bossa Nova
  10. cate.b

cate.b New Member

distater pieces

I have played most of the pieces you have mentioned without hitch, i love soula bossanova, can't spell it though.

Lost it once in hootenanny though, Bass section had a grunting contest and i lost. Christmas hates are Three Kings Swing and Sheperds Farwell, the Farewell was long over due lol

11. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Got to say I like Soul Bossa Nova too (perhaps it's not the same arranger) - one real dissaster piece I own up to buying is Stop by the Spice Girls (at the time we were trying attract the yuff). I' m dreading the day when someone looks through the library and suggest we play that one again.
  12. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

'Breathless' by the Corrs, maybe?!

Music treat that was .... not!
  13. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

The band could play them, that wasn't the problem. It was the arrangements, they were ghastly
  14. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Topical one for this time of year:-
    An English Christmas.

We played it once and confined it to the darkest corner of the library. I think the arranger appears on here fairly regularly. :eek: Better run and hide.
  15. Bass Trumpet

Ray Stedman-Allan
  16. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

The theme tune from 'Where the Heart is'

Absolutely dreadful!
  17. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Sure it wasn't instant concert ( with the written grunt ). A band I played in once had the record at 5 mins including various farm animals and jungle noises... followed by the conductor walking out in disgust :) ... hey we were kids ( sort of ) and if you write it......:biggrin: ... not that I'd do that anymore of course I'm all grown up and sensible now :rolleyes:
  18. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

The piper in the meadow
  19. Mr_Chairman

Mr_Chairman Member

Beguine Nocturne - it just goes on and on then changes key and goes on and and on and just when you think its going to end - it does a DC.

We renamed it 'Benign Nocturne'
  20. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

It's O So Quiet (the Bjork song of all things!)