Purcell Variations

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by tat, Jun 10, 2013.

1. tat

tat Member

Does anyone know of an errata for this piece, from what i can see through searching the internet, there was when it was first used in the 1st section?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Purcell Variations
    errata
    Purcell Variations Does
    piece
    internet
  3. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

The copy of the score I currently use was issued with a list of errata (presumably from the 1998 areas) - however this certainly doesn't cover all the apparent errors in the score.

I've just ordered a copy for my own use, so will see if that comes with anything attached. I did try looking on Kapitol's website for an up-to-date errata list, but it was blocked by my browser as containing malware (conspiracy theorists, your time starts now).

I'll let you know if the new score arrives with anything useful, or will otherwise post the old errata here, plus the additional [apparent] errors unearthed so far.

4. tat

tat Member

Thanks Jack, we have a new set but nothing came with it and we have found a couple of errors which prompted me to search and find that one had been issued when it was used for the area.

Must say its a brilliant piece and we're not getting the usual moan and groans when it comes out at rehearsal as we have done over the past two years.

5. The set we ordered from Studio arrived last week WITH an errata sheet inserted in the back. I know that Kapitol intend to post the same errata to their website in due course. We borrowed a set from a band that played in the 1998 Areas which had a few more corrections in it - mostly missing accidentals and the occasional omitted cresc/dim. but I presume most will pick these up over time. My only gripe is that there are no rehearsal letters or numbers, so we've had to write them in.

6. tat

tat Member

Ditto

7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

... But there are bar numbers; where's the problem?

8. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

If we have to pay that much money then why cant they print a score with the known errors already corrected?

9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

But that's a different question; not having rehearsal figures where bar numbers are used instead isn't an error.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  10. Who said it was an error? I didn't. I said it was a gripe of mine.

11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

By quoting my post, nigeb12 appeared to imply it.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Purcell Variations
    errata
    Purcell Variations Does
    piece
    internet
  13. simonium

simonium Member

Does it matter?

14. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

There's so much detail in the piece, that I'm finding it more useful to work by bar numbers in any case. It's fairly easy to get a few key bar numbers marked in as waymarkers, in lieu of letters/figures - why complicate things further?

15. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Back on thread, my new copy of the score arrived this morning, with the following list of errata enclosed:

Bar 226 - Eb Bass, E dotted minim (1st line)

Bar 238 - Bb Bass and percussion [manuscript insert showing:] three quavers (one each on beats 1, 2 and 3), accented and 'ff'. Bb bass play C below the stave, Timpani Bb, and bass drum

Bar 268 - [Percussion] all notes move up one space, i.e. tambourine continues for rest of the bar, the side drum takes over in bar 269

Bar 333 - Solo Horn - beats 2 and 3 are both crotchet Gs above the stave

Bar 379 - Solo Cornet (1) A natural dotted minim above the stave, (2) F# dotted minim (5th line) - ie. as printed

Bar 368 - Euphonium - 3rd beat F# (not F natural)

As I've already mentioned, there are several other points of contention in this piece which I've noticed, and would be happy to share my thoughts on - I wouldn't want to muddy the waters any further, though.

16. simonium

simonium Member

We won't start looking at it yet. I hope. Downie's music has the same effect on me as drinking too much mead. Sickly.

17. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

I've dug out my own list of possible errata, drawn up following extensive study of the score. I must stress that this is entirely unofficial, but hope that it may draw attention to those gremlins which have been overlooked by the publishers, and to which the solutions are not always immediately obvious.

Bar:

31 - Bb Basses (lower part) 2nd G flat (first of the triplets) should be G natural

111 - Euphoniums third quaver should be B flat

117 - Bass Trombone last quaver should be C-flat, as bar 119

286 - Eb Basses, upper part should play G throughout this bar

303 - Eb Basses, first quaver is B flat in both octaves

413 - Flugel and Euphoniums, any F should be F sharp throughout this
    bar (see Repiano cornet)

413 - Soprano and Eb Basses, any F should be F sharp throughout this
    bar (since E# = F natural already)

415 - Bass Trombone last quaver is E natural (making these four bars
    entirely traumatic/chromatic for all three trombones)

I'll say it again, these are just probable errors, and this is not an official list. I hope it provides some answers, rather than more questions, though.