Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Curiosity_Kills, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Greetings all.

A Friend and I are looking to start up a music publishing company and we wondered if anyone could give any advice?

We are currently designing and configuring a website.
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There are quite a few tMPers who advertise their own companies so there should be plenty of tips from them. Are you primarily going to use your own stuff or start a stable of arrangers/composers?
  3. Both of us are composers/arrangers and we will be publishing our own music. However we are going to build up a 'stable' of other composers and currently have a few interested parties
  4. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Do what you say you are going to do. In other words, if you promise to look at a piece, or take it on for publication, do it as quickly as you can without cutting corners. Too many publishing companies look at works "when they get around to it" and I've had a agreement and signed contract with a well known brass band publishing firm to publish an original work of mine for two and a half years - it has yet to see the light of day. Suffice to say they won't be getting any more stuff from me.

Also, ensure that you have enough time/staff/skills to do accurate editing and proofing. The standard of editing on some stuff published at the moment is appalling. The Perfect Fool debacle at the Nationals is an example, and the new Gareth Churcher piece for Pontins is riddled with printing errors.

If you can build a reputation for being quick, accurate and reliable, you shouldn't go far wrong. Good luck.