Publication Puzzle

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Thirteen Ball, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Something I've written has finally appeared on a publisher's website for sale at £19.50

Much as I'm very pleased they like it, and have decided to print it, they've not told me they were publishing it, nor have I signed any sort of agreement.

Am currently sitting in a corner, very confused.

What should I do? Am dead chuffed at being published so don't want to get them narked, but don't want to get fleeced either.

2. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

How did they get it? If you sent it to them, you may have given permission to publish without knowing it.

If it were me, I would immediately attempt to get some clarification of the exact copyright status of the work, or you could potentially lose your rights to it without compensation.

3. lewis

lewis Member

Just give them a ring, what they'll probably do is take a percentage and send you a cheque every few months or so, depending on how many they sell. I'd be very surprised if they trying to fleece you, you sending them a copy of the music is as good as a contract in their eyes.

4. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Depends on the publisher and the exact laws of the country. I'm fairly certain that in the US, publishers are free to use unsolicited manuscripts in any way they see fit without compensation unless certain requirements are met when the piece is submitted.

This is an extremely murky area of copyright law.

5. Thirteen Ball

I was assured, when I submitted the piece, that I'd be sent an agreement to look over, and then sign. I haven't had it yet.

As I understand it, (which could be wrong) UK law doesn't permit publication without such authorisation as effectively, it means the publisher has stolen the work from the writer.

6. lewis

lewis Member

Then the best thing is to get on the phone. If they try and fob you off then you might need to seek legal advice. Good luck.

7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Sounds like it might just be a clerical error, or their webmaster was premature in posting the listing. Like lewis said, give them a call.

And congratulations on getting published! :tup

8. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I had this once, and it was just an error. They had sent me the contract, but it never arrived and they didn't notice that I hadn't returned it. As others have said, give them a ring!

9. Thirteen Ball

Cool. Cheers all. I've dropped them an e-mail and will see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Oh, and thanks to everyone from this forum who gave my tips on writing and publishing music! Yer all great! :clap:

10. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Is this an original work, or an arrangement of something? Makes a SLIGHT difference to how you should approach them.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Something
    sort
    agreement
    publisher
    Publication Puzzle
  12. Thirteen Ball

Hi all. Just to let you know it's sorted. They put it on the website a little early, but it's not quite ready for printing yet. (Something to do with me botching the kit percussion part probably!!!)

They've said they'll send me the forms as soon as it's ready, so (as I thought) it's just me getting all daft and confused cos I've never done this sort of thing before!!

I am a bass player. It's my job to be confused.... :oops:

Thanks for the help and advice everyone!

AC