Public Smoking Bans

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brassneck, Jan 4, 2006.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

2. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

It's causing mayem up here. Was out with my mum this afternoon in Kirkcaldy (Fife) and this old man in the pub we had lunch in was moaning on to the barstaff that he'll have to take a flask and sandwiches to the park. Personally I can't wait!
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- but he might not be able to smoke there!
  4. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

The ban includes all enclosed public spaces. Smoking shelters are, as defined by the ban, enclosed public spaces. It will therefore be illegal to smoke in shelters specifically designed and built for that very purpose...

Is it me, or is it all getting a bit OTT? :icon_rolleyes:
  5. HBB

HBB Active Member

Will help to stop people killing themselves, at if that's not the case, at least lessen passive smoking!
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I feel it will either do two things ... stop people from going out as often to continue smoking at home or get them to stop completely! (... in favour for the latter).

post edit:- this is an important issue in my opinion as when the ban becomes effective, it will affect everybody! (in Scotland that is!). The ban is more extensive than in Ireland and only in some States in the U.S.A. do outside bans appear!
  7. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

In was noticeable in Japan that there wasn't a large amount of public smoking and as a result when you did walk past a smoking area you really noticed it!

I'm not sure what the law is out there, but there were certainly 'smoking areas' on train platforms etc and you were not allowed to smoke when crossing the road for example.
  8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

In my experience, in Japan much more people smoke then here in Europe. But you're probably right about the rules and all... Japanese will always be rule-freaks. If there would be a "rule" that they had to jump of a cliff, they would all do it simply because it's a "rule" :rolleyes:. When I was at our customer over there, the workers could go outside to smoke, in a desginated smoke area. It was quite busy there...

Here in Belgium, it's forbidden to "smoke in the workplace" since the start of the year (this includes company cars apperantly...), the sale of tobacco to children under 16 is forbidden and the politicians are talking about forbidding it in restaurants (but not in pubs and caf├ęs). Ican't wait for that to happen, because I find smoking while other people are eating one of the most disgusting things I can think of :mad:
  9. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Agree with you there - I'm a smoker, but I utterly detest smoke wafting into my face as I eat.

My point is that the Scottish ban is going too far (but what else would you expect from an ex-smoker, ex-teacher, nanny-state New Labour First Minister?). I was in my local a few days after the law was passed. That evening, all 6 customers and the barmaid were all smokers - as of the end of March, the place would have been empty. (That was a typical evening, I hasten to add - it's a small 'traditional' pub)

When we go for a post-rehearsal pint, as one of the (very!) few smokers in the band I always try to sit so that the draught takes the smoke away from everyone else, and try not to smoke (too) much. Not too much of a problem - the non-smokers are all drivers, who only stay for a drink or two (half hour or so) anyway. Come the ban, I dare say I'll just stay in one pub until I fancy a ciggie, then smoke my way to the next pub... :icon_biggrin:

Will I give up? I probably (definitely?) should, and I've done it umpteen times already :icon_rolleyes:, but I'd rather do it when I want, not when it suits the career aspirations of some self-serving politicians.

(P.S. I've heard it said that alcohol is responsible for more deaths per annum than smoking, so is it a myth or time for prohibition? :icon_cheesygrin: )
  10. oooooooh good topic!!!!

I used to smoke, from being 13 till I was 19, so I understand it from both sides of the coin - as do many ex smokers.

Generally, I don't find smokers to be too much of a problem. Yes it stinks, and there are times I wish I could ram a fag down someones throat (like in a morning when you're at a bus stop and someone lights up, it makes you want to vom in said smokers face) but at the end of the day, I find the government to be quite hypocritical in their marketing of cigarettes. Pour Example......

the government are more than happy to put a ridiculous amount of tax on fags, and make LOOOAAAADS of money from them. Then they say "smoking in public places should be banned" rah rah rah. But are the fags still on the shelves? Yes. Are they still making copius amounts of money from them? Yes.

And OK, smoking is a health risk. But most smokers ENJOY smoking and don't WANT to quit. And in this day and age - what on earth ISNT a health risk? Every other thing on the news these days is telling you research has shown that such a thing might actually kill you. Blah blah.

Yes, non smokers should have the right to fresh air and fag-free-smelling clothes. But cigarettes are something which are offered to the public just in the same way beer is. Some people choose to endulge in tobacco and enjoy it their whole lives... whilst others don't.

Banning smoking in public places, to me, isn't fair. You provide the cigarettes, you make a ridiculous amount of money on them, but then turn around and say... "but you can only smoke them in certain areas now."

All very unfair, in my opinion.
  11. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Jim Hacker, 'Yes, Prime Minister': "All those brave smokers, laying down their lives to pay for the NHS..." (or something similar)

No, don't get me started on government hypocrisy...:icon_cheesygrin:
  12. Steve

Steve Active Member

Not that im a heavy smoker or anything but having been to several countries where they opperate various bans I am sure this country will go too far.

In Italy I found it remarkably easy to go into a pub, walk out onto the street with my drink to smoke my cigarette then re-enter a pub / club. Can anyone honestly imagine the trouble there is going to be when a nightclub of 100's / 1000's of people has a continuous flow of people popping in and out for a fag? And whose fault is it when someone is not allowed their drink in the street and gets it spiked?

Secondly, who is gonna clear all this up? I smoke say 20-30 fags on a night out. Say I am out with 20 friends (no your right, i dont have that many) who couldnt see their feet let alone the cigarette disposal unit on the wall, where are all these butts going. Yup, thats up to 600 fag butts somewhere in the street from just one bunch of people. Extra staff???? Yeah right!

I do agree on non smoking areas and I will generally try not to smoke near non smokers but can they really ban us from doing it in the open air. I know Birmingham train station is now non smoking so I get off a train after 2 hours, have 5 mins to get on another one and cant smoke. If I get in an **** and hit someone can I say it was BR's fault for not allowing me a fag as I am dependant on it? Compensation culture is probably big enough for me to get away with it.

Tax, dont even get me started. Thats why I will only buy duty free cigarettes so they schemeing (sp?) little beggers cant tax me for something they are gonna stop me enjoying.

I also believe that smokers pubs are not allowed under the new guidelines. Is this not descrimination of some sort? If there is a pub for people who want a smoke free environment then why should it be ILLEGAL for smokers to have one that bans non smokers (or at least ones that are gonna complain)?

I could go on forever and my arguments may seem petty to some but the petty ones are the ones that often get overlooked.
  13. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

But the BIG difference is that I can choose to drink a pint of beer or not, but I have no choice when a smoker lights up. I am forced to endure the smoke, which stings my eyes, affects my breathing and makes me stink, which they think is OK! I bet they'd be a bit upset if I poured my pint over them!

An 'outside' ban is a bit harsh for the poor junkies though. Ban it in all inside public places definitely and why the need to delay such a ban?
  14. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

It'll be lovely having nights out at home now, and not waking up stinking of smoky pubs the next day. When are they bringing the ban in in England.........
  15. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

I went to Dublin for the New Year. Very weird, but nice waking up the next morning not stinking of booze and fags! But, I still stunk of booze, that'll never change!

No one had a problem with having to go outside to smoke.
  16. dyl

dyl Active Member

20 of us from the band went over to Dublin on a jolly last week - was an eye-opening experience being stood in a small, cramped pub with no smoke to spoil the experience for us non-smokers!
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  17. SoloBaritone

SoloBaritone Member

I loved the small, cramped pubs!! Great atmosphere and the people were soooooo nice!