Public Liability Insurance

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by savewaterdrinkbeer, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Can someone help me??

i play in a quartet and have just had emails back off places we play at xmas period that i need cover upto 10million. we are currently covered up to 5million and i cant find anywhere to get 10million any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

£10million cover that's ridiculous - what kind of quartet is this? Do you turn up with a couple of truck loads of amplification gear?

I work for a construction company and we have that level - even then it's arranged on a special top up policy. So you have your basic cover of £5million and then you take out a further policy on top of the first element. It should be proportionally cheaper as the risk of a claim above £5million is less.

I would think you'd need to speak to a broker on this one.
  3. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

We had a similar sort of demand a couple of years ago. One of our councils wanted cover for 15 million. Like you we were covered for much less but still an adequate amount. When we got back in touch with the council it turned out that this was the standard terms they sent out to all groups etc that they hired including those playing at festivals with massive amounts of electrical gear etc. They were quite happy with the cover we had and allowed us to play.
    It may be worth getting in touch with the venue to see if something similar is going on there.
  4. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

If any of your quartet are members of the Musician's Union they will have £10 million public liability cover via the MU by virtue of their membership.
  5. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

As a member of the The Chartered Insurance Institute they state that public liability insurance is Insurance to compensate the insured in respect of claims from third parties for accidental body injury or property damage due to the insured's negligence or that of their employees.

I have checked with one of our public liability underwriters in our commercial small business unit, and the risk that you carry is classed as a minor risk and your current cover is all you need. (even a bit over insurance but thats not a bad thing)

I would suggest that you talk to your own insurance company underwriter and explain the situation to them, they will be able to advise you better than I can becasue I deal with Commercial Motor claims.

I do think however that these people who have asked you to be covered for 10 million are being very unreasonible and forgetting what type of service you are providing?!?!?!?!?!

Let me know how you get on and I hope this kind of helps?
  6. Thanks for all your suggestions and comments its been sorted now they have all said that they miss wrote it and it should be 5million.

thanks again
  7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Sounds like a sales tactic to me... ;) Glad you're sorted though.