Public Liability insurance

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by gboden77, Oct 28, 2005.

  1. gboden77

    gboden77 New Member

    I busk each Christmas time and this year i need to get this insurance.

    Can anyone recommend anywhere to try or that has friends/relatives who know anything about it as i'm finding it hard to come by?
  2. TheMusicMan

    TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member


    I assume that as you say you need this insurance now - that the council is giving you permission to busk. Though they won't usually make recommendations, they could point you ni the right direction.

    I would also suggest as a starter you look at one of the many pages returned here.

    Here's a few more for you to start with;

    You may also find something on Gavins excellent IBEW site here

    Good luck...
  3. andywooler

    andywooler Supporting Member

    Visit an Insurance Broker and let them do the hard work finding this for you.
  4. KMJ Recordings

    KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

    Mine's with Music Guard - standard policy is £1M I think, but some Local Authorities request £5M, which is my level of cover. Can't tell you what the separate premium is I'm afraid, but they were talking of setting up a department solely for PLI.
  5. tubafran

    tubafran Active Member

    Just how bad is your playing going to be? are you expecting loads of claims due to excessive noise or are you going to put yourself in the way so someone can trip over you?

    Why would you need PI cover? More likely that you would probably need a Performing Rights Licence than that - can anyone enlighten me?
  6. KMJ Recordings

    KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

    More and more Local Authorities are insisting that 3rd parties who 'work' on / in / around anything that is owned by them is insured - you made the joke about the instrument case (or performer!) trip, believe it or not there are people out there who'd do it deliberately and enter into litigation for personal injury ("Have you had an accident at work, or on the street? Call.....") - and if you're not insured it could be very costly.

    As the LA is granting you a busking licence, you are in effect under their jurisdiction so they require you to be insured.

    Sign of the times, I'm afraid.
  7. gboden77

    gboden77 New Member

    I have permission from the council, but need to find out if it will be economically viable for me to get the insurance, before i confirm the dates i've been offered.

    This compensation culture is awful, where will it all end?
  8. strongbow

    strongbow Member

    It will only end when common sense prevails!!

    Heard of a case sometime ago for someone trapping their fingers in a filing cabinet as they hadn't been adequately trained on how to close the drawer.
  9. flower girl

    flower girl Member

    The usual amount is beween 250,000 and 1mm however, if it is required you can ask for more. - this website will give you a quote, you can ask them more about how to get the insurance. Hope this helps
  10. gboden77

    gboden77 New Member

    It is sad the way the country/world is going now.

    I am applying to be a teacher and because there are certain people around I have had to spend 50 quid on a CRB form just to go into a school. Maddening!

    Now I have to fork out cash just to play on the street and there are quotes flying around for 130 quid for a years cover, when all i need is a month.

    Hopefully i'll have more joy with the companies recommended above.

Share This Page