Public Entertainment Licence

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by alanl58, Nov 3, 2004.

1. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Has anyone seen specific details of the licences required after April 2005?

I have just taken a booking for a Carnival in July, and according to my local council's website:

"A Licence is not required for: Fetes, Fairs carnivals and circuses"

but

"When is a Licence Required? Events open to the public where there is live music or dancing. This includes live bands...."

I am aware that the MU had a good website reference when the Bill was being passed, but maybe a legal beaver member of tMP will have a definitive ruling now that it is about to be enacted? Perhaps scope for a tMP Library article?

Alan Lafferty
    Bude Metric Brass
    St Gennys Silver Band

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    MU
    tMP
    Public Entertainment Licence
    good website reference
    specific details
  3. cornetchap

cornetchap Member

As far as I am aware the decision over what is ultimately licencable rests with the local council so if they say Carnivals, fetes and the like don't need a licence then they don't. Ultimately it is the organiser though who needs to obtain the licence and not the band.

Again, as far as I understand it licences are required for public events where there is a charge levied. One engagement we have in the year is for a private garden that is open to the public for a fee to raise money for charity. Under the new act this would require a licence. Our local council will issue temporary licences for this kind of event, though at what cost I've no idea.

HTH

Cheers, Greg.