Pub names!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by jockinafrock, Apr 6, 2009.

1. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

I often have a laugh at the names of pubs and have meant to write down the ones that really tickle my fancy... 'Ooh-er'! :wow I've seen names like 'The Frog 'n' Ferret', the 'Why Not' and heaps more that I can't even remember (must've been under the influence). :oops:
    Not that I'm suggesting that tMPers are partial to the occasional tipple ...BUT... what pubs have you frequented/passed/stumbled out of/been chucked out of etc that the name gives you a laugh? :lol:

'Cheers..!'

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Chinese
    Ka Wa
    Dundee
    Pub names
    Ta Ka Wa
  3. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

In Birmingham, on the 'ramp'...the Newt and Cucumber....always made me smile when I saw that name....

4. Bungle

Bungle Member

I remember a pub I used to frequent in Gillingham (Kent) called the 'flying saucer'. The pub sign on one side had some aliens, the other side an angry woman throwing crockery. I also have fond memories of 'the fat cat' in Sheffield.

5. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Phil's fave pub in colchester - The Odd One Out!

6. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I've driven past the Ploughboy! And seen the Crawfords Arms!!

7. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Dare i say it. Lovely pub in Ringmer near lewes, called, beleive it or not, 'The Cock'!!:)

8. Bungle

Bungle Member

There is a page on Flickr devoted to unusual pub names, 'The Fanny on the Hill' is going to be hard to beat.

9. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

Very true. She has nice eyes also.

10. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

There's a pub close to where I live called "The Gate Hangs Well", which I seem to remember is from a poem written about having to get through a toll gate in order to enter a town. I always thought it was a pretty unique name, but seeking out the verse (which I can't find) it looks like there are a few pubs with the same name dotted around the midlands.

@Bungle - there's a "Flying Saucer" in Memphis TN. highly recommended if you ever find yourself over there!! (over 100 different beers :cool:)

11. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I used to go to a pub called the Fog and F**kit. But due to censorship, the landlord had to have Dog and Bucket on the sign.

Or so the story went anyway.

There was also the Ring of Feathers which had a sign of a duck bending over...

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Chinese
    Ka Wa
    Dundee
    Pub names
    Ta Ka Wa
  13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

A pub we supply the meat to is called
    The Odd House at Snearstone nr Measham

14. David Mann

David Mann Member

There's one in Derbyshire called The Quiet Woman - she's headless.

15. rikster

rikster New Member

Theres a pub in the Laines in Brighton that was once a chapel, called the "Font and Firkin". Gives a whole new dimension to wetting the babies head.

16. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Also one in Charlotte NC - 200 beers plus at that one! If you get around all of the beers they have, a bronze "saucer" with your name can go on the wall - Silver if you go round twice and gold for 3 times. Nice touch!

17. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

One of my favourites is in Great Tower Street London EC4

"The Hung, Drawn and Quartered"

18. FATNBALD

FATNBALD Member

There was a pub near me called "THE FLYING PIG" it used to be "The Bowling Green" but had its name changed after a building was erected opposite it that ,shall we say was a meeting place for a certain religion.

19. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

'Pub crawl anyone...? !!' :guiness

20. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

yes please!:tongue:

21. bbg

bbg Member

A well known hostelry in Dumfries, with strong Burnsian connections, is entered through a narrow dor and passageway, and rejoices in the name of the "Hole in the Wa'".

22. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I know there is one in Raleigh, NC as well (home to next year's North American Championships if you fancy the trip).

We have several "Winking Lizard" pubs here in Ohio.

I liked the "Drawn and Quartered" in London near the Barbican and William Wallace plaque.