PS2, X-Box or Game Cube?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Pythagoras, Feb 17, 2004.

Which is the best?

1. PS2

2. Game Cube

3. X-Box

1. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Are there any games console fans out there? Which do you think is the best. I'm a PS2 man myself, though I have a certain nostalgic fondness for the N64.
  2. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

you can't beat a megadrive! no one ever even came up with a NAME as good as that!
  3. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I seem to remember a friend of mine had an enormous black box when he was a wee chap. It took two of us to lift (or one big-person) and played pong..

those were the days..
  4. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

I'm a playstation girl now, but lynchie's right, the megadrive was and still is fantastic!! Miles better than SNES. It had sonic!!!!

Ok so who is better Sonic :D or Super Mario :| ???????
  5. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Put X-Box in the poll but for some reason it got chopped out. Could a mod help please?
  6. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Nice Mod to the rescue..
  7. rutty

rutty Active Member

I love my Gamecube, though not physically. All three machines have their benefits, but I've always been a Ninty fan :)
  8. Stewart

Stewart Member

I'm an Xbox man myself although I rarely use it for playing games, it's mostly being used as a DVD/CD/MP3/Internet radio/DivX player more than a games console.
  9. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

What about the PC. Better games machine than any of them.

If I was forced to pick from that selection then I would go for X-box.
  10. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

yea I'd say PC as well... not that it is a games console unless that's all anyone uses it for :lol:

if I was to chose outta these though, it would be X-Box
  11. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

PC's are good but I hate having to constantly upgrade them, just buying a console every 3 or so years would keep me happy.
    I've had a Megadrive, Sega Saturn, N64, Dreamcast, PS2 and Xbox. (Stressing the had) Have an Xbox at the moment and think it's (edited) brilliant!

Please do not try to dodge the bleeper!
  12. jambo

jambo Member

I'm a PS2 fan myself. However was a Mega drive man before that, so joy of joys they have brought Sonic out for the PS2 which some nice person bought for me. Class! :lol:
  13. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Being in the privileged position of owning a PS2 and and X-box I would say the X-box is a better machine by far - but as it is just really a cut down PC you would be better off getting one of those. I heard recently that a company is developing a console that will run PC games (ie in effect a much more powerful X-Box).

But clearly the best games 'machine' of all time was the Amiga 500+ (much better than tha Atari ST).
  14. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Of the three, purely as a games machine, I think the GC shades it. However, hurrah, hurrah, there's a bit of a surge in retro gaming. Not just Mega Drives/SNES/Amiga/Commodre/Spectrum etc. but machines and games for the likes of Dreamcast and Saturn are now appearing in some 'retro' stores. I bought a Dreamcast recently for £22. Most of the games can be picked up dirt cheap and there are some cracking games on it.

The Saturn struggled. It didn't have the capabilities of the PSX when they hit the shelves in the mid 90s but the one cracker of a game that appeared on the Saturn was Athlete Kings. Of it's type (button bashing arcade athletic sports), I have yet to see a better game.
  15. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

I used to own a PS2 and it was a very fine machine indeed. However, I recently bought an Xbox and it knocks the stuffing out of the PS2 in all areas except the range of titles available. Just about to install an Xbit chip so it'll soon be in use as a general entertainment server :)
  16. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I have had a Gamecube since start of Jan and it's pretty good, but I have no basis for comparison having not really touched the PS2 or X Box. For the amount I play it, the Gamecube suits me fine, just have a quick go every now and then. Been using it most to play Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time mind, which was an N64 game and possibly one of the best games I've played (bar C&C: Red Alert and various cheesy point and clicks [e.g. Monkey Island] on the PC). Anyway, I recently bought a Sega Master System 2 on Ebay on the cheap. I used to own one and regretted selling it, so bought one back and hunted down all the games I used to have. Sonic does indeed rule!
  17. Fishsta

Fishsta Active Member

Well, you're all wrong.

Undoubtedly the two best consoles ever, and they were both flops in this country.

The Sega Saturn and the Sega Dreamcast.

In a way, it's a blessing they flopped, because now you can own these pieces of history for under £30 each, games mostly under a tenner.

None of the modern consoles can hold a torch to the playability of the games on these two classic consoles.

And then there's the small matter of total and utter rip-off prices of modern sub-standard games...

Oooh, it makes me mad.
  18. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Both the Saturn and Dreamcast did get a mention by me earlier .... (honest, guv!) Metropolis Street Racer (the forerunner to Project Gotham Racing) on the DC's the best driving game I've played!
  19. Lloyd

Lloyd Member

I have a Game cube and a PS2, I spend most of my free time on the PS2.
    Dad takes the mick because I'm always on there.......But how can I be on there all the time when I am also on the computer all the time as well :lol: :wink: :wink:
    In my opinion I think Grand Theft Auto: vice city is the best game ever!! 8)
  20. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I got GTA3 and Vice City double pack for Xbox at Christmas for £40, complete bargain in my opinion! Classic games, although GTA3 does feel very sluggish once you've played Vice City, YEUCK!