Prospective MD seeks a band!

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by nethers, Jun 25, 2004.

1. nethers

nethers Active Member

Hi everyone!

I'm Marc Nethercot, currently solo trom at united co-op yorks. (and great fun it is!) and I've just finished by BMus (music degree) at Huddersfield Uni. Next year I'll still be here in Hudds doing an MA and working as a brass teacher in Derbyshire.

Anyway, to the point! I'm searching for a band to conduct. As I'm only 21, I haven't got lots of experience, but I have done some conducting (with positive feedback, including the conducting module at Hudds Uni) and have worked as a player with just about every big name conductor I can think of. I've done teaching before (again with good references) but would like to expand in to a new field!

So, is there a band (ideally not a youth band - I am better at music than child control. But I'm not too concerned about standard - an enthusiastic 4th section band is preferable to a political/unfriendly 1st section band!) within easy driving distance of where I am in Huddersfield, that rehearses on nights other than Mondays and Thursdays (sorry folks, co-op's rehearsals) that wants to give me a try? To sweeten the deal, I don't want paying!

I'm a dead friendly guy and will treat any replies in confidence if you like.
    Hoping for lots of replies! Thanks all

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    guy
    MD
    everyone
    fun
    band
  3. musicmaker

musicmaker Member

conducting

Hi I know of two bands after a conductor, both are Non Contesting.

Bedale Brass Nr Leeming, Northallerton
    Contact Andy Dalby 01845525693
    Reh Wed 730-930

Northallerton Silver, in Northallerton
    Contact Dave Prest (presto)
    Reh mon and thur 730-930 ish

I Play and have conducted both bands and help both out.
    Hope this helps.

Lee

4. gd lk

hi m8, good luck with findin a band to conduct, i'll b lookin 4 1 to conduct in the near future, im currently doin conductin at the band studies course at accrington and rossendale, richard evans is the main tutor in that department, hope u find a band soon, gd lk, CliVE

5. musicmaker

musicmaker Member

what the cse like, whats on it ect???

6. gotta b careful here coz we have 2 stick 2 the primary subject but the course involves playing, conducting, composing, arranging, harmony(in the 1st and 2nd yrs only), 2 essays(dissatations), 10 critiques of band rehersals, concerts, contests, etc, and diary entries, and then some guys and come down 2 do lectures about certain aspects of music and banding, its a 4 year part time course where u go there 7 weekends per college year and altho its a part time course, it feels like u get full time work, lol, gr8 course tho, the tutors r richard evans, arthur butterworth, david golightly, alan fernie, chris andrews, and then theres the individual tutors who come down 2 give u lessons, ian porthouse does cornets, steven booth does baritones, not sure who does horns/flugel, or euphs, shawn crowther does basses, and trevor wallbank does trombones, bram gay is currently the external examiner, it was james gourlay, but bram gay did it this yr and has agreed 2 do it 4 the next 3 yrs aswell, i highly recomend the course, and its a ba hons college degree at accrington and rossendale college, its externally linked with the university of sheffield.

hope thats enough info 4 ya, if u wanna know nethingelse then let me know. lol