Proofreading

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by mikelyons, Nov 3, 2012.

1. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Hi All,

I have received a number of flyers, emails and other types of adverts from bands recently. To be honest, I am concerned by the poor standard of English used. Spelling, grammar and punctuation seem to be optional extras for most bands. It is one thing for in-band publications, but it paints a very poor picture of the bands concerned when these documents are sent out to large numbers of people.

I am willing, for a small fee, to proofread and/or rewrite any material you have that is going to be viewed by large numbers of people. I don’t want us to look illiterate and I’m afraid some bands are doing just that. I won't rewrite the content or redesign the layout - unless you want to pay me another small fee - but I will correct spelling, grammar and punctuation.

If you can’t see anything wrong with the following sentence, then you need my help:

It took to goes two make the too of them work, but their where no chance of them reaching the peek.

PM me to arrange.

(There are six errors: It took two goes to make the two of them work, but there was no chance of them reaching the peak.)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    numbers
    number
    adverts
    standard
    types
  3. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Yoo r write Myke, that reully meks me mad two.
    I ope ya get sum rekwests fur asistunts.

(On a serious note, that too often appearing 'Principal'/'principle' mis-spelling, stills makes me squirm!)
    Try living here in the West Mids, where "I am not" can be verbally delivered; I'm not, I ain't, I ent, I ai, etc. A problem for EFL/ESL speakers!
    I ai gunna complain too much, it's a crackin' place t' live.:tup

4. oleredeye

oleredeye New Member

Its moor than fifty year sin I were learned grammer... but isn't "reaching" a gerund, and should therefore be preceded by the genitive case? i.e. "there was no chance of their reaching the peak"
    :confused:

5. mikelyons

It all depends on how erudite you want to be. There is a point beyond which one can be too pedantic! ;-)

6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I wouldn't be too uspet on that one, personally. My mum would have, though!

7. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

My advice is to steer clear of anyone who thinks that proofreading should be spelt as two words (proof reading) instead of one (proofreading). The former is wrong, the latter is correct.

8. mikelyons

Thanks for that James. If you look in the main text of the advert, you'll see I did spell it correctly. However, by the time I noticed the error in the title, I had passed the 5 minute rule! I would appreciate a correction from the mods on that one if you don't mind, guys! :oops:

9. James Yelland

Indeed. But the role of the proofreader is not merely to check grammar, spelling and syntax, but also to eliminate inconsistency. Newspapers call it 'house style', I believe.

Perhaps you need a proofreader to check your copy before you publish? I might be available for hire!

Good luck!

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Done!

11. Phil Green

Phil Green Supporting Member

Where is the <Like> button when you need it :)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    numbers
    number
    adverts
    standard
    types
  13. James Yelland

A gerund, as any fule kno, is a creature wiv long nose found in books lyke Down Wiv Skool and How To Be Topp. Free cheers four Saint Custard's!

Nigel Molesworth (aka Jim Yelland)

NB: I do not expect anyone under the age of 50 to understand any of this.

14. mikelyons

Thanks, Peter. A true gentleman, as ever. ;-)

15. James Yelland

Hear is a pikture of some gerunds.

gerunds.jpg

16. mikelyons

:clap::clap::clap:

17. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Wrong! (But only by a few months, mind...)

And the youth of today may understand it - it is rather like text speech in some respects!