Proms Concerts

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Hornted, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Hornted

Hornted Member

Ok love them or hate them bands are always in demand to take part in 'Proms' Style concerts.

My own band has several bookings each year for this type of gig and as with most bands we seem to follow a pattern of 'normal music' in the first half with 'proms stuff' in the second.

Fantasia on British Sea Songs
    Rule Britannia

Does anyone have any ideas for other stuff that they may have used for this type of event
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

We've found items such as "Thunder & Lightning Polka", "Radetzky March" and "Trepak" go down well, although having done a lot of them over the past few years we are trying to avoid them now :shock: .
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Majestic Sullivan is always good - When Britain Ruled the Waves from Iolanthe is over the top tongue in cheek "patriotism" lyrics wise,(and was even when it was written), but is a real crowd pleaser as the music is exceptional.

The overture to the Yeomen of the Guard is an amazing piece of music too.
  4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

How about having the audience standing up? Isn't that what defines a Promenade concert, as opposed to the musical content?
  5. Active Member

Suite from Pineapple Poll arranged by Geoffrey Brand
  6. jpbray

jpbray Member

Vaughan Williams: English Folk Song Suite
  7. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Dam Busters
  8. jpbray

jpbray Member

Medley of tunes from the home nations
  9. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

We have 3 proms jobs coming up and as well as the traditional "last night items" we are including

Keel Row - trad arr Darrol Barry
    March from Pines of Rome - Resphigi arr Howard Snell
    Montagues & Capulots - arr Gordon Langford

Would also have liked to include

Fanfare for the Common Man & Rodeo - both Copeland arr Howard Snell
  10. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

How about The Great Gate of Kiev, handily stolen by Mussorgsky from the composers of, in reverse order, The New Statesman, Crown Court, and if there are any more I'm not old enough:!:
  11. PeterBale

Wasn't "Crown Court" the Janacek "Sinfonietta"?
  12. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Can confirm this is and it's the third movement. Played it with Sheffield Symphany this year with Timbloke and Lauradoll?
  13. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

Floral dance always goes down a treat :D
  14. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

We did "March from the Great Escape","1812","Parade of the Charioteers from Ben Hur" as well as accompanying a vocal soloist.A big blow but the punters enjoyed it.
    Did suggest "The Red Flag" and "The Internationale" to counter the general imperialist theme of the night but our MD was having none of it!!!
  15. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

ey up mel, what about crown imperial or spitfire prelude,
    theres always I vow to thee my country and dambusters of course!
  16. MattB

MattB Member

I'm amazed nobody has mentioned British Grenadiers yet! Most surprising! It's the march used at the beginning of most of the big events along this line.
  17. PeterBale

Mentioning marches, for a few proms concerts we've opened with "Soldiers in the Park" (the "Listen to the Band" theme tune) with each section marching on in turn - percussion start, then a few bars of basses, horns, euphs/baris playing tune, troms & cornets coming on last, each joining in once they've taken their seats, with the conductor just directing the final section.
  18. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Could always start the half with Pomp & Circumstance No. 4. I think there has been an arrangement done of that.

If you are in Cornwall, you sort of have to play Trelawny in your Proms concerts or pay the penalty of the locals!