Promotions / demotions

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Feefee, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Feefee

Feefee Member

Does anybody know where i can find a list of all the bands whcih have been promoted and demoted this year? It is really annoying me as i cant find anywhere which tells me on the internet!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    list
    bands whcih
    Promotions
    demotions Does
    year
  3. lewis

lewis Member

4. Feefee

Feefee Member

thanx 4 replying to my post!

5. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

6. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Well done to SE and NE regions for entering the 20th Century (21st is too much to expect of anything to do with brass bands - tMp being the eception of course :) )

Anyone out there a member of/with contacts to the other reginal committees or even the national body - would'nt it be nice if all the grading tables were available on the net

7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Promotions/Relegations Scotland 2004

Promotions
    To Championship - Newtongrange, Newmilns and Galston
    To 1st - Barrhead Burgh, Kilmarnock
    To 2nd - Jedforest Instrumental, St. Davids Brass
    To 3rd - Dunfermline Town, Newlands Concert

Relegations
    To 1st - Dalmellington, Broxburn
    To 2nd - Granite City, Tayport Instrumental
    To 3rd - Shotts St. Patricks Brass, Selkirk Silver
    To 4th - Turrif Silver?

I believe that only one band went down from the 3rd to the 4th section because another band in the section either folded or switched to non-contesting status.

8. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Hav'nt heard anything about this? When was the last time Turriff played in the Scottish - dont think they have played in the last few years? Please correct me if I'm talking rubbish!

9. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

tMP did try to sort this two years ago by asking our members to submit their area league tables - unfortunately not every one responded so rather than post a half-hearty attempt, we decided not to publish at all.

As we now have a much increased membership we should be able to achieve this once the Regional Contests are finished. The tMP management team would certainly be prepared to produce these tables if we are provided with the information.

Can I suggest that you talk to your band secretaries and ask/remind them for a copy of the league tables when they are sent out after the contests.

We will post another annoucement nearer the time to remind you!

;)

10. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Yorkshire Provisional Gradings for 2005

This list was passed to me by a private source not connected in anyway whatsoever with Kippax Band, and I post it here entirely on my own responsibility for the interest of tmp members.

There have been some successful appeals so some bands on the list as having been Relegated or promoted may not have actually changed section.

I REALLY hope I have not made any typing errors !!

a = Average Mark
    d = Disqualified
    nc = Non Competing Band
    p = Promoted
    r = Relegated

Championship Section

1 13 2 Dyke 16
    3 1 3 B&R 7
    9 10 8 Carlton Main 27
    8p 8p 15 Chapletown Silver 31r
    2 5 5 Grimethorpe 12
    5 11 9 Hepworth 25
    11 7 10 Skelmanthorpe 28
    8p 8p 14 Knottingley 30r
    8p 8 12 Lindley 28
    10 12 7 Pennine Brass 29
    7 45 6 Rothwell Temps 17
    6 3 4 Sellers 13
    14 2 11 Stocksbridge 27
    4 6 1 YBS 11
    8 9 13 Imps 30r

!st Section

5r 5.5r 2 Drighlington 12.5
    5p 2 5 Hade Edge 12p
    5p 5.5p 1 Hatfield 11.5p
    6 6 7 Holme Silver 19
    5p 10 11nc Horbury 26r
    2 8 10 Kippax 20
    5r 5.5r 6 Marsden 16.5
    5p 5.5p 3 Old Silkstone 13.5
    7 7 8 Stannington 22r
    5r 3 4 United Co-op 12p
    1 5 9 Wakey Met 15

2nd Section (Just current points from here on !!)

Armthorpe 27.5r
    Barnsley BS 14.5p
    Elland 25
    Frickley /Sth Elmsall 20.5
    Hebden Bridge 20.5
    Meltham 21
    Rockingham 17.5
    Sth Yorks Police 15
    Strata Brass 22
    West Yorks Police 15
    Wetherby 24.5
    YBS Concert 13p
    Yorkshire Post 25.5r

3rd Section

Barnsley Met 24.5r
    Clifton and Lightcliff 19
    Dinnington 15.5
    Emley 24.5r
    Gawthorpe 85 19
    Huddersfield Brass 18.5
    Maltby Miners 22
    Oughtibridge 18
    Slaithwaite 17
    Stanley Newmarket 9.5p

4th Section

Crofton 12
    Dearne Valley 14.5
    Friendly 15.5
    Gawthorpe Brass 9
    Grange Moor 7.5p
    Linthwaite 12
    Lofthouse 2000 16
    Ripponden Carriers 26
    Thurcroft 23
    Yorkshire Traction 27

11. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

It was mentioned in an SBBA minute from last year, don't know which one, but presumably the one from the meeting following the 2004 Scottish Championship. To the best of my knowledge Turriff haven't contested in at least two years and according to the rules that means an automatic relegation. I may be wrong about the actual sections involved but I am definite that this did happen in at least one of the sections after last years Scottish Championship.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    list
    bands whcih
    Promotions
    demotions Does
    year
  13. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Cheers, John.

I didn't think I had heard much of Turriff recently, thought that there was a clause if a band didn't play for so many years.

14. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

Just to confirm that Stannington are still first section, we succesfully appealed.;)

15. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Also Hatfield appealed not to go up and are still in the 1st Section.

16. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Sorry to go off topic....

Appealing not to go down.....appealing not to go up.....I'm a little confused?

Didnt realise that bands could do this? What are grounds of appeals in both cases?

17. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

We (Stannington) appealed on the grounds that we had only just got a conductor (5 weeks before, I think). We were asked if we wanted to appeal or be relegated. After some deliberation, we decided to appeal, which resulted in success! wohoo! :D
    Ask Timbloke for more info... he knows more than me!!
    We need to do well at this year's area though. ;)

P.S. The conductor left shortly after!:-?

18. stevetrom

No offence to you but I fail to see why having a new conductor is grounds for appeal (unless it was due to illhealth)

In fact i can't see many grounds for appeal at all. Surely the point of the areas is to judge bands against each other and grade them accordingly. I may not agree with the system (i.e. only 1 contest matters) but until it changes we have to live with it

19. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

As far as I understand it bands can appeal not to go up or down. I think the norm for a band appealing not to go up is on the grounds of they only had one year in that section, the band is not strong enough and wouldn't compete etc...therefore its better to let them stay in that division for another year then if the win again they've got to go up.

Bands who appeal not to go down is kinda in the same vein, example the reason they are getting relegated is because of one rouge result, i've seen bands stay because of this but if they get an equally bad result the next year go down.

20. stevetrom

But surely the whole point of the areas is to take an average over 3 years and get promoted/relegated based on that. If one band appeals about a rogue result every band could also appeal "if we had come 4th instead of 5th we would have been promoted, can we go up please"

21. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

The point is, we didnt have a conductor untill 5 weeks before the contest. The poor result was a reflection of this. We need to justify the appeal at this years area.

22. stevetrom

Yes but who stopped you having a conductor?

Other bands might sign a new principal cornet 3 weeks before the area, can they appeal?

We went to the area a few years ago without our flugal player (taken quite seriously ill a week before), asked to borrow a player from the band who played before us, they refused so flugal solos were put in by a cornet. We appealed about the poor results and were turned down.