promises to partner

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Farmer Giles, May 21, 2009.

1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

more one for the ladies this, but all feedback welcome !

i am going to make my girlfriend a few promises whilst on holiday, and give her a ring (for the right hand!) to "confirm" them (for want of a better phrase)

what would you want to hear ?

i already have my own ideas, just after some thoughts.
  2. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Recognise what's important to your lass... She shouldn't have to tell you what she wants you to do, say or promise - if you value your relationship you'll know the things that will get you brownie points, make her happy or will really hack
    her off ;)

And if it's important to her, it should be important to you - that's why you're together. Or is it?

Mind - the same goes for the girls! ;)
  3. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

I'd promise to always get back from the pub before midnight - and to put the ironing board away for her when she's finished using it.

That should do it. :tongue:
  4. Debra Smith

Debra Smith New Member

I never could work out why you still lived on your own Dave!!
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
  5. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I'd make a promise not to make half-hearted promises and buy her a ring for her left hand. If you are ready to formally seal this relationship in this way then why not do it properly.
  6. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

thanks for the replies :)

i quite agree, but we have both agreed that it is too soon for both of us for this.
  7. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I don't understand. You want to make a commitment without making a commitment? I'm a bit dumb ;). The message I'd get from this if I was her was that you were still on the lookout for a better offer or something. I agree that marriage isn't something to be taken lightly (having been there, done that, got the t-shirt). However, simply living together is also possible without having to have a "pretend" engagement/marriage in order to prove something to yourself/the outside world. If you really want to do that - left hand all the way :cool:. Please bear in mind that this is my opinion and I am not trying to force it upon you - you should do as you think is right. You did ask for my opinion though! I'd feel a bit insulted by this "not the whole hog" sort of thing. (I'm more than happy with the way things are if you're reading this, Kepps ;)).
  8. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I had a think about this last night. I was probably a bit unfair on you - it's nice that you both agree on the level of commitment you want to have, and don't let my opinion put you off. Sorry if the advice wasn't what you were looking for - one of the hazards of asking on a public forum!
  9. Don't make promises, just start apologizing now. It will save time when you are married.
  10. killer

killer Member

You got that right pal ;)