Project for Champ/1st Section Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MRSH, Feb 15, 2007.

1. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

OK People

I thought I’d throw this open on here. I’ve just finished two big projects and before I get them published I’d like to offer them out to anyone who would be interested in getting their hands on either or both of them (for nothing ;) )

The first is an arrangement of Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield. This arrangement incorporates most of the original and is nearly 35 minutes long. Like the original it is in two parts.

The second is an arrangement of the whole of the Grande Symphonie Funèbre et Triomphale by Berlioz. This calls for a slightly augmented band in that it needs two sopranos and four trombones. It is nearly 30 minutes long and is in three movements which can be played separately if required. The second movement especially is a beautiful trombone solo. The original scoring calls for ten percussionists but can obviously be trimmed down.

These pieces are not easy and would suit a Championship Section or good 1st Section Band. I have talked to two interested Championship Section Bands but they have more pressing priorities at the moment (and I don’t mean just the Areas!) so anybody that is interested in taking on either or both of these two pieces maybe for a concert (even massed bands) or perhaps a CD then please do get in touch.

All necessary permissions have been obtained.

Anyone interested please let me know.

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I've long been fond of the Berlioz, and was present whe they used it to open the Proms a few years ago. Have you incorporated the optional chorus parts?
  3. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Yes I have - the original scoring was for 'wind band' with the choral and string parts added later. The choral parts in the last movement are there as an option.
  4. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Why not get a tMp band together to run them through?
    (Here's your 1st soprano for the berlioz!)
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  5. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

And one of the 4 trombones!
  6. BrianT

BrianT Member

And introducing...........Tubular Bells.

How have you arranged the bit where the instruments are introduced verbally by Viv Stanshall, you know, "Grand Piano", "Two slightly distorted guitars", etc. Are the instruments announced at all?

I haven't listened to side 2 of Tubular Bells for ages. Isn't there the Sailor Dance at the end? The one with "tiny pieces of eggshell" and "blinking well baffling" in it? Do you get the whole band doing a drunken stomp?
  7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Good questions Brian!

I made a start on arranging TB for band years and years ago (when I was too young to know owt of this copyright malarkey), but quickly decided that it was beyond my then powers to stop it turning out a complete travesty.

Matt, this sounds interesting. PM me with your phone number, and I'll see if there's any interest at Kidlington for a post-area event (not sure what the diary's like).
  8. Texus

Texus Member

Absolutely marvellous! Often thought of doing Tubular Bells 2 myself but never got round to it. Would love to have ago at playing it with Aveley....
    Keep it up!
  9. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

I've seen Matt's score for Tubular Bells and he has done a fantastic job of scoring it - a worthy challenge for any band who's up for it!
  10. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

No, unfortunately (or fortunately - depending how look at it ;) ) I haven't included that bit.

I haven't included the Hornpipe either. I think the piece stands up well enough on its own without this. And it had a much more dramatic and 'final' feeling to the piece.
  11. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Well - I'm overwhelmed with the responses so far. Have had some really interesting offers to consider - 2 from Australia, 1 from New Zealand, South Africa, Copenhagen and several from around the UK.

Thanks to everyone that has posted and also those that have PM'd me. I promise I will reply to everyone individually.

12. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Sounds very exciting - good luck with it.
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Tubular Bells will certainly attract a lot of attention in a big way! Have you actually contacted Mike Oldfield personally about this project? It's something I believe he may possibly contribute to as a musician either in concert or on recording.
  14. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

That's a bit scary - but quite exciting at the same time. It would be great to have his guitar solo at the end.

What makes you think he might contribute?
  15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

In every revival of Tubular Bells, he has made an appearance. I have always felt the 'presence' of a brass band when listening to the album. It seemed to me that it would be convincing to an audience when adapted for band.
  16. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

About two years ago a 3m high set of tubular bells belonging to Mike Oldfield went on ebay - they were being sold by a recording studio and came with some electronic gizmos attached - went for about £1100 and I seriously thought about bidding for the band however they were just so big they wouldn't have gone in the band room door.
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- here they are ... [​IMG]
  18. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Boy - I bet they make a great sound - would do just fine for the first performance of my arrangement :D:D;)
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- they were advertised as MIDI triggered ... so the creative possibilities are intriguing!