Programme notes, HELP!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by kate_the_horn, Feb 20, 2005.

1. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

i hope some nice tmper can help me out, ive got to produce a programme, to accompany my recital, next month.

im playing Song of the Seashore,
    Variations on a Welsh Theme
    Adagio- Albinoini
    and Goff Richards' Higgyjig

i cant find any information on these pieces online, can anyone help me out?

thanks in advance.

kel x

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tmper
    programme
    anyone
    Albinoiniand
    Welsh ThemeAdagio
  3. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

I can supply you with a few details of variations on a Welsh theme. The original theme is called Beguilio'r gwenith gwyn and has it's origins in the village of Llangynwyd near Maesteg, Mid-Glamorgan, S.Wales. Here are some more details via the net:-

The lush green hilltop fields at Llangynwyd are the setting of the sad tale of Ann Thomas and her loving companion William Hopkin or ‘Will’ as he was known. Will was a local thatcher and poet, but his status was not thought good enough for that of Ann. Her mother Catherine forced her into marrying a gentleman, Anthony Maddocks. However the maid eventually died of what some say was a broken heart. The tale is well known throughout the valley as a tragic love story which was doomed no sooner than it had begun Ann and Will are buried in the graveyard at the village church.
    Here are some of the lyrics:-

Idle days in summertime,
    In pleasant sunny weather,
    Amid the golden colour'd corn,
    Two lovers pass'd together.
    There were words they did not speak
    To give their thoughts expression;
    Each knew the other's heart was full,
    But neither made confession.

There are more verses if you want them

4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

For the Albinoni, it helps if you spell his name right LOL, but you can use this link and it will give you general details about the composer http://www.baroquemusic.org/bqxalb.html

Born 1671 Venice Died 1751

The adagio was used in one of Mel Gibson's first films called Gallipoli about the Australia and New Zealand Corps (ANZAC) forces in WW1. The tune is used when the young soldier, who was going to be a sprinter before the outbreak of war, runs to his certain death, when the command to go over the top of the trenches is ordered by the Senior Officer. Very moving film if you haven't seen it, and a fantastic use of a very descriptive piece of music. Originally written for String Orchestra and Organ.

Higgyjig was written for Gordon Higginbottom in 1985? ( Well that when it was cpoyrighted?) It was to highlight the talents of the best tenor horn player in the country at the time. He appears to spend a lot / most of his time in Australia these days. Goff Richards was a tutor as Salford University and Darrol Barry studied under his tutelage. GR is from St Minver Cornwall and was born in 1944. Other than that he has written and arranged about 3 million pieces, (slight exgageration).

As far as I can tell Song of the Seashore was originally written by the Japanese composer Tamezo Narita http://www.media-akita.or.jp/akita-pioneers/narita1E.html
    Is the arrangement you're playing by Catherall, if so then it would appear to be this guy. James Galway has recorded it on several occassions on his flute.

That's all I can come up with for now. Might do a bit more research tomorrow.