Prog Rock...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrianT, Jun 14, 2009.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

I'm certain I'm not the only person on here who likes a bit of prog - you know the sort of thing - Genesis, Yes, Rush and so on. Lots of time signatures and technique. (And gatefold sleeves...)

Anyway, I was listening to Rush's 'YYZ' the other day, and it got me thinking. When Rush play this they are amazingly tight - but I'm sure it helps that there are only three of them. If YYZ were to be arranged as a brass band test piece, what section would it be? Also, I wondered if we like the big prog bands because they're loud and clever, but if we were to analyze all the time signatures and stuff, what they're doing is nothing that would particularly faze a regular brass bander. What do you think?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    prog
    bit
    prog bands
    signatures
    Lots
  3. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

There is another person, i know he was a member of Yes, and that is Rick Wakeman's music. Also I was thinki ng of Chick Corea's music, for example, City of Brass. Ray Farr has made an excellant arrangement of Pat Metheney's Minuano and Full circle.

4. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

75 piece drum kit :mad: at a contest, I would suggest that this be kept in the original form and not be transcribed for band, unless it is only performed in Canada ;)

5. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Revolving stage provided!

6. fireborn

fireborn Member

lol Finding good available percussion players is hard enough, but I think you'll find it nigh on impossible to find a drummer the standard of Neil Peart! I have to agree with what was said already YYZ should stay as it is.

7. nomperism

nomperism Member

Its funny you should say that. When I first started playing in brass bands, me and my dad used to listen to YYZ on the way to and from rehearsals, it was just long enough for us to get there, pause the music and then get back home again.

I think it would sound awsome for brass band, but I think it would be very difficult to transcribe for band and I think you would need a band in the championship section to make it sound amazing.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's a lot of music in this area that would be great for performance but it's a shame that no-one took advantage of it years ago. Although great to play, the audience appeal might be not as popular as some may think. If anyone can prove otherwise, I apologise in advance!

9. YellowTubs

YellowTubs New Member

Hang on, thats me! :)

10. YellowTubs

YellowTubs New Member

Stranger things have happened, who would have though years ago that we would have brass band arrangements of the Stones, Queen, Bowie etc. I guess it's a natural progression that more modern and popular music will be arranged for band.

Thing is, the audience of brass bands still tend to be older. So the music that will be played (prog rock and stuff) will reflect their musical tastes.

Give it a few years and we'll be seeing brass band arrangements of Motorhead and Iron Maiden! Get in!

11. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I don't think we'll be seeing the current crop of pop no-hopers, like 'Lady Ga-Ga' and everyone of that ilk, having arrangements for brass band...

What a pile of ****.

(I still classify myself as young, and even though that is who Lady Ga-Ga is aimed at, I would rather eat my sofa than listen to that rubbish... give me Saint-Saens any day)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    prog
    bit
    prog bands
    signatures
    Lots
  13. YellowTubs

YellowTubs New Member

This was possibly also said years ago though, when the idea of arranging for what would be modern songs then....

"'Life On Mars' by David Bowie...... ridiculous...."

Never say never, although I agree on some scale.... some songs are really never destined to be arrangement fodder.

14. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I think there's many prog rock pieces, especially by the likes of Genesis et al that would transcribe very interestingly for band. For those who know the piece, can you imagine 'Dance on a Volcano' for band... now that would be awesome.

Brassneck... where are ya!?

PS: I have arranged a piece for band by the excellent Steve Hackett (with his personal permisison too!!), but never got round to presenting it to any for trialing.

15. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Thank goodness for that! Though I was getting old cos I think Lady Gaga is the worst assault on the senses since Peter Andre and Jordan recorded (can't bring myself to use the words "sang") a whole new world!

Back on topic I think Led Zeppelin's Kashmir would be awesome!!!! Although perhaps slightly long and repetitive......... after all we never play music like that do we???

16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Hi John! It's known to a few that I have followed (in depth) much of the prog-rock and fusion categories since the mid-'70s. There's a few Hackett solo pieces I would consider, especially "Ace Of Wands" (from 'Voyage Of The Acolyte') and a couple from his 'Spectral Mornings' album. Most of the music at it's peek is performance orientated and tend to show off individual or group virtuosity. I feel it reached saturation point at the end of the '70s and early '80s! There are still many virtuosi recordings presently being released but not much with respect to innovation.

17. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I'm already there.....

18. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

One of the biggest disapointments over the last two years was discovering that Paul Lovatt-Coopers "Dark Side of The Moon" was in no way related to a certain classic Pink Floyd concept!!

I'd dearly love to see an arrangement around Genesis' Suppers Ready off the Foxtrot album - certainly a lot of the early Hackett influenced material would be good. Mind you try arranging Van der Graaf generators "A plague of lighthouse keepers" or Gong's "Fohat digs holes in space" ;-)

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... from "Camembert Electrique"? My goodness, that goes back a bit! (cup of tea anyone? :rolleyes: ). Some of the trilogy may work (e.g., "Isle Of Everywhere") and much of the jazz-rock influenced material with the late Pierre Moerlen a certainty.

p.s., I paid 50p for the Camembert LP, the retail price the band wanted it sold for!

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  20. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

yep, so did I and still have it!!

And even better Im going to see them in a weeks time at Glastonbury with the Steve Hillage, Daevid Allen, Didier Malherbe lineup - and then again a month later at Beautiful Days festival in Devon!

21. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Mmmmm! I wouldn't have expected Hillage to rejoin (even for a reunion!). Met him a few times over the years and a great person too. Didier's post-Gong career I have tracked as well. Is the band going to be as close to the original line-up as it was then? (... given that Pierre Moerlen has passed away).

22. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

I'm definitely in two minds as to how successful band transcriptions/arrangements of prog rock would be.

On the one hand, do we really want 10 minute drum/keyboard/guitar solos (drum/cornet?/euph? - navel gazing time;))

On t'other hand, melodic and harmonic pieces in 'unusual' time signatures - Genesis' 'Foxtrot', side 2 for example - at least as good as some of the 'unusual' stuff we get as test pieces, but would we attract an audience who'd appreciate it? My mum's over 70 - she'd rather hear Pat Boone... and I have several friends who still adore '70s prog rock above all else - but they couldn't care less about brass bands, and if I said 'We're gonna play Rush and Yes at our next gig!!!' - they still wouldn't come...

Would I (and, AFAIK, the rest of my band) enjoy playing it - probably, YES!
    Would the (potential) audience care... Dunno. :(

So, it's over to the arranger-type chappies on here - do us a (brass) Camel 'Snow Goose', or a Genesis 'Supper's Ready' - warmed up, ready to 'rock' :wink: