Professional MDs

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassneck, Jan 16, 2005.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

So ... who's hired who for the run-in and performance in this year's Areas? Any band taken a risk acquiring the services of a rising star in the art of stick waggling? Or has the costs of using a professional conductor made your band think twice?
  2. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

We've got Dave Barringer (bandmaster of the Light Division) taking us for Yeovil and the Areas.
  3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

We do not bother with a professinal to come in we are more than happy with our conductor
    as we know he puts in 100% all the time.:)
    Why pay out even more money.:rolleyes:
    At the end of the day the conductor is as only as good as the band or the players around the stand they have got!!:-o
    On the whole YES it is very nice to have one of the top men in to conduct your band :-D but it would be better if you had them in for a standard band practise and looked at a piece to see how they would go about it.;)
    All you would need to do is get it out for about2/3 weeks and go through it a few times to sort the notes out, no need to make it a difficult piece just pick a piece that you have done over the last 12 months:) so the band a least know it and would not take to much time going over certain bits during practise.:-D
    But this is a very good thread you have put on:-D
  4. HBB

HBB Active Member

We've got some of the team from Fodens coming down! Should be cool!
  5. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

Russell Grey is taking cambridge to stevenage. Unfortunately I'm not going because I'm going to a wedding the other end of the country on the same day :mad:
  6. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Not being rude, but this sounds a bit naive.

A good conductor brings more out of the players. On your theory, YBS, Dyke et al would be just as good with Joe Schmo in the middle. That just isn't right.

However, I agree totally with this. Workshops are good for all concerned. But then again, isn't hiring a pro conductor for a contest a bit similar to having a week long workshop?