"professional conductors"

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by savewaterdrinkbeer, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. this thread is just a winge, i cant understand some people, i've been playing with a 4th section band now for about one year. helping out on cornet (by the way im a tenor horn player for 16years). in alot of different section bands. i've finally decided that im leaving and im joining a 1st section band. why should i get a mouthful off the conductor saying i should be ashamed of myself and that im not loyal to the band.

its happend before why do bands in lower section get a cob on when you leave, why cant they just understand like any other band usually does????
  2. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Could it have something to do with some slightly degrogartory remarks "flung" about on t'internet regarding rehearsals and possible inferences being made to conducting technique?

Fair enough you want to move on, but maybe in future it might be better to advertise this fact in a more "professional" manner yourself?

This thread is yet another example of a personal attack on the conductor? Maybe it would be better if you take up any issues you have with your conductor/band himself rather than "whinging" online about it to prevent further upset?
  3. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

How much notice did you give before a big contest or concert?, as in my experience as a player in a lower section band it is the fact of people dropping them in it at the last minute that is annoying rather than people leaving to go to another band having announced it with plenty of notice. Also it has to be remembered that this is bound to be more of an issue for lower section bands, as it is harder to replace a player, as there aren't bands beneath them for them to take players from.

Doesn't excuse the conductors outburst though, and I'm certainly not saying that people shouldn't move bands.
  4. zak

zak Member

Could not agree more!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:
  5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

she shoots...... she scores!
  6. yorkyboy

yorkyboy Member

who are you moving from and to??
  7. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

In order to keep this thread from degenerating into personal attacks, we ask that specific details such as the names of the bands/conductor involved NOT be posted.

Please keep the discussion to the general topic.

Thank you for your cooperation.

8. 1st Position

1st Position Member

I have to agree with some of the comments above, if you decide to leave a band or some other group, its always best to leave with the door wide open for a possible future return. It seems that you wanted to slam it on the way out.

If you have stayed at the band for a year, they must have had some positive points , or you would not have signed for them, unless of course there was money involved, or perhaps some kind of 'arranged' marriage. Certainly, from my personal experience it is better not to play, than to play, not enjoy it and continually whinge - yet you have stayed for a year. I'm sure that I wouldn't have.

How long do you have to play an instrument, before you are no longer helping out? I would have thought that one contest, or a concert would be classed as helping out. One year = joining the cornet section as a cornet player!

Why not? If you have been as critical during rehearsal, and after in the pub, as you appear to have been on themouthpiece, then I'm sure that the conductor's patience has been tested to the limit. As for the loyalty question. Did you speak to the conductor with reference to your sleep problem? Did you speak to your section leader with reference to your sleep problem? All players must accept, that there are times during rehearsal when some sections have very little to do, especially in the build up to a contest. It's infuriating, but it might be your section that gets it the next night, whilst everybody else is 'sleeping', swings and roundabouts spring to mind.

It's not the fact that you are leaving a band that upsets people, it is all to do with the manner in which you leave. And that applies equally to bands of all sections!
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2006

9. I could not agree more with all the above points. I too have had the same problems in my capacity as a professional drunk, in that, sometimes I do want to leave before last orders and have always been met with the same response!!! ;)
    Seriously, if you have such issues with the 4th section band, it should not be brought up in a forum such as this, cos you are leaving yourself wide open to criticism from bandspersons who, no doubt, have all experienced the self-same problems with :-
    a) people who think they are "too good to play in the 4th section (no offence to any 4th sectioners)"
    b) think that certain sections of a higher-graded brass band do need players of a certain quality - if only life was that easy, every band would be full to capacity of young / old, eager, talented players all striving for success and aiming for the same goal.
    Which brings me back to a point made above..... if the band / md in question made you feel so worthless as a player playing a totally different instrument, then why stick it for a whole year?

Just a personal point, and I hope I haven't offended / upset anybody with my comments.

Andy, Belfast
  10. fair comments, but i now that no one from the band in question comes on here. 2. i havent left in a bad way, i had give prior notice. and i personnally had not told the band i was leaving, which i would of liked to do, somebody leaked it out. i stayed there for a year because i was asked by a friend to help. oh well lets look to the future.
  11. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Ummm, How does that work then?
  12. b ross

b ross Member

Who cares? Get over it and enjoy your new band!
  13. But surely if you had given prior notice, then it was obvious that you were gonna be leaving......
    And as for somebody leaking this news? If you gave notice, isn't that leaking it yourself?

14. i just said i was looking for another band
  15. i can be ***** im not getting anywhere with this its my problem and i'll sort myself i was just a bit peed off at the time, its more confusing than some of you are saying, im just going to leave it now and look forward to my future playing.
  16. But you must have said it to someone in the band, otherwise, how on earth could it have leaked out? You make it sound like you had serious enemies in the band who were out to get you! :mad:

Andy, listening to Iron Maiden and rocking out in Belfast
  17. In which case fair play, but the next time you get criticised over your standard of playing a cornet or horn, are you gonna post another thread here attacking your next band?
    Just a thought.

Drunk now :clap: :biggrin:
  18. it dont matter anymore im not going to listen to anymore commets
  19. Ho hum.......... ;)
  20. no because i dont think this band r like this. im probably just digging mysel;f into a big whole that i cant get out of. plus im not broadcasting which band im talking about

{QUOTE=Belfast Barman]In which case fair play, but the next time you get criticised over your standard of playing a cornet or horn, are you gonna post another thread here attacking your next band?
    Just a thought.

Drunk now :clap: :biggrin:[/QUOTE]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.