Problems with in consistent pitch

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by IJK, Oct 12, 2007.

1. IJK

IJK Member

I have a player who would like some advise from people I have given him my views and I was wondering if any one had any tips to help him

Sometimes i can seem to hit any note no matter how high and then for no apparent reason i'll go into a period where i struggle on the high notes (which is what i've been doing for the last two rehearsals).I know that i will snap out of it and get my high notes back soon but i need to be more consistent and could do with a few tips.

2. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I have had similar problems in the past - also with stamina. I have found that my warm-up is the key. When you're going through a bad patch for pitching and stamina the temptation is to not warm up too much for fear of tiring your lip - when really that is exactly what you need. It might be worth a thought. Other people might be able to offer good warm-up advice but I tend to play loud low nasty notes for 5 minutes or so then move onto lip slurs!
  3. horton543

horton543 New Member

Over working your chops

Sounds like you may be overworking your chops. Try shortening your practices in between rehearsals. Or, take a day off here and there. Intonation and tone go quickly when you stress out your chops.
  4. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

I have the same problems with inconsistent higher register. I like tpcornet find that warming up properly - long notes in lower register for a few mins then a few slurs - really really helps. AND, the more air I put through when trying to get up there, the easier the notes come out and they sound cleaner too.
    Try some arban excercises - i go for the chromatics to get my fingers moving too and try a crescendo higher up the scale you go and diminuendo coming back down.
  5. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

I like you too ;)

Just saw the other post and would agree it's important to rest properly. Don't know how the music students manage though!