Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by umchacha56k, Nov 4, 2007.

1. umchacha56k

umchacha56k Member

hey everyone

I am a trombonist and have been playing about 3 and a half years now.

I went through about a 2 month period of not having a teacher and my technique has suffered as i havent been correcting myself properly.

However my bigest problem is nerves, apprently it is becuase i am too much of a perfectionist but im having real problems playing at the moment as i keep seeing mistakes everywhere and think am going to get things wrong.

I cant pinpoint the reason but its stopping me from getting anywhere.

any comments or suggestions would be great.

2. cygnet

cygnet New Member

I can sypathise as I have the same problem. I have found that one way of dealing with it is to have short solo parts in a piece (to get me used to playing alone) and also having a supportive MD who, if I make a mistake, doesn't shout or tell me off but is available to talk through went wrong and suggest ways to help.

In addition, try and keep things in proportion - if you play a wrong note, it is not the end of the world - even in a concert. Everyone has done it and the majority of the audience will not even notice. :)
  3. Blagger

Blagger Member

Being a perfectionist is a good thing mate :)
    What I would suggest ( and i've played at just about every level in banding) is that you set yourself a 10 minute practice routine that consists of pieces that are just beyond you at the moment.Set yourself the target of finishing the passage (or piece) no matter what goes wrong -carry on no matter what- this will develop "coping" techniques - make a mistake and just get through it......
    When it then comes to actual pieces and concerts - you will feel more at ease - knowing that you have made it through hader music than what is in front of you
    This idea was given to me by my college tutor - Nic Childs - and I found it useful to say the least . As an example : I had Le Roi DI's to play in a big contest (mega Euph solo) with my band at the time - he got me to practice it up 3 notes (making it bleeping high:) ) - come the contest I was cruising .. :)
  4. I completely understand. I went through about three years where the trombone section got few solos because our conductor at the time seemed to hate the sound of us! lol!

I would probably suggest getting a book of simple solos (perhaps with backing tracks) and a silent brass mute. Record yourself playing these pieces and listen back to them yourself. (Brett Baker always does this to me in my lessons - I hate it, but it sure makes you realise where you need to aim to make yourself sound better!

Also I would suggest getting a book such as how Trombonists do it, or the such, and working through these. They encourage lip slurring, and help you to 'feel' notes rather than actually having to think about what note you are playing.

Any help? Let us know how you get on.
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Record yourself and play it back. That's an easy way of getting feedback on your playing.
  6. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Is your MD being helpful or critical.If critical that could be contributing to the problem, I have played for some critical MD's and it does leave you a bag of nerves.
    If helpful ask your MD if he can help you through this and get you back on track.
  7. craigyboy1

craigyboy1 Member

You are "seeing mistakes everywhere"
    If you imagine/hear the mistake in your head, or see hurdles, chances are you will physically make those mistakes.

It's a confidence thing. Think,Feel,Act,Play confident.Imagine it played perfectlly with the best tone and precision a couple of times, see what happens,

As the previous post says it important to practice playing on through following a mistake and ignoring it.

James Thomson a trumpet tutuor advises: Play in real time, not thinking about the last bar or mistake and not thinking about future bars and possible mistakes just what you are playing now.

Howard Snell advises vocalising parts before rehearsing them (I do this in the house...not in the bandhall!!)
    It's amazing the difference it can make as you are not concentrating on playing the instrument but on the pitch etc of the notes. It also doesn't matter one bit whether you can sing. I have never heard a worse singer than myself!!
  8. chall89

chall89 New Member

everyone makes mistakes , even top pros do , I've seen it in concerts.
    Just think of the overall context of the piece , one or two clips won't matter as long as you don't let them get to u .
  9. David Mann

David Mann Member

A classic learning theory is the 4 stages of competence;

The learner or trainee always begins at stage 1 - 'unconscious incompetence', and ends at stage 4 - 'unconscious competence', having passed through stage 2 - 'conscious incompetence' and - 3 'conscious competence'.

At stage 1 you don't know that you can't do something, and hence have no nerves.
    At stage 2 you have realised that you have some way to go, and can be prone to nerves - but you can alleviate this by preparation and positive self-talk.
    At stage 3 you have grown in confidence and experience.
    At stage 4 you don't even have to think about the technique of what you're doing, only the direction.

I guess you are, like 90% of us, somewhere between stage 2 and 3. Confidence comes from repetition. I found it helpful to record how many times I'd practised a particular scale, exercise or piece of music, even in some cases marking the metronome marking for that day, so I could see progress. Then when it comes to the rehearsal / concert / contest you can honestly tell yourself "I've done the work, I'm confident, and just listen to this!
    Good luck and keep at it.
  10. umchacha56k

umchacha56k Member

hey guys tahnks for eveyrones feedback so far its a big help

in responce to above i have a very supportive MD and teacher so were both not really sure where this is coming from

i have some a level recording coming up anyway so il be listening to myself soon up thanks for everything so far, keep um coming.

And il keep you updated.