problem with sovereign cornet?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by _si, Mar 18, 2010.

1. _si

_si Member

Hi all, is there a known problem with the sovereign 928 not letting all the water out of the taps?
    I have just started to play a 928 from 1985 and its in good (great) condition, BUT after playing it for 2 minutes......crackle crackle that water crackle noise, i give it a good blow out using the 3rd valve tap with and without the 3rd valve depressed, then he main tap gets blown through, play another few notes, crackle crackle crackle?

I have tried roatating it a few times and can usually get a few drops out of the bell.

Is there a knack with these instrments i dont know about?

2. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

it sounds like it could be stuck in the 1st valve slide, but I am no expert...

3. andyp

andyp Active Member

I've had this happen after washing mine out - try:

Check the holes in the spit valves are clear (pipe cleaner/cotton bud), they do get gunged up.

Take the 2nd valve slide out, press 1st+2nd down and blow (mouthpiece out), if there is any water in 1st slide it'll come out the 2nd (onto the floor!).

Hold bell pointing up for a sec then tip towards bell and see if any comes out, sometimes get a little in the wiggle where the bell pipe joins the valves, only after a wash though.

Look after it, it'll last a lifetime!

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Member

Probably got some Rice Krispies stuck down it mate - is it going snap and pop as well??

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  5. TrumpetNick

TrumpetNick Member

After you have followed all the above recommendation (or while you do that) keep in mind that blowing too hard, while trying to empty the liquid in your horn may be not a good idea as part of the liquid may skip the water key hole as a result of high pressure. So blow gently and shake the instrument out before closing the water key.

6. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I have known these to have been fitted without the hole being drilled first , might be worth checking the hole is there !
    Might also need a clean at that age might be blocked.

7. KenIrvin

KenIrvin Member

Occasionally I get this problem. I clear excess water by depressing third valve and operating the3rd valve trigger, then blowing through with the trigger fully extended. This usually does the trick

8. Chippy_Cornet

Chippy_Cornet Member

I used to have a sovereign cornet and found that water used to collect in the bend beyond the tuning slide but before it entered the valve block, used to find that by keeping the tuning slide well lubricated and marking it with a pencil, i could remove the slide, tip the water out and replace the slide in the correct position in a matter of a few seconds. It used to confuse me how i would still have water in the instrument after clearing the water keys, until i discovered that it collected in this 'other'place!

Hope that helps!

9. _si

_si Member

thanks guys, really helpful, i have it sorted now, it was the 2nd valve slide....taking it out depressing valves 1 and 2 and giving it a shake has niagra falls coming out :)