Problem With My Chops

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stephenmrry, Feb 17, 2011.

1. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

I'm having a very worrying problem with my embouchure this past week. I play cornet and everything is fine up to a Top G and after that for some reason air is escaping just to the right side of my embouchure which up until last Thursday had not happened. I was well in practice at the time and now I'm quite worried something serious may have happened. I have tried minor adjustments but nothing is helping Has anybody had similar experiences or encountered this problem before and if so any advice as to overcoming the problem

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    air
    everything
    side
    reason
    nothing
  3. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Have you tried resting (ie. not playing at all) for a few days? If that doesn't help I would advise seeing a qualified teacher.

4. Simon Preshom

Simon Preshom Member

Just what I was going to say. Don't search for answers on an internet forum, could lead to some well-meaning but inacccurate, irrelevant or ambigious advice.

Have a rest and then see a proper teacher if it's not better.

5. worzel

worzel Member

I had this problem ever since I took up the cornet again after 20 years of not playing. I could never figure out what I was doing wrong (I now play horn) so I'd be interested to know what it is if you figure it out.

6. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

My concern is mainly down to the fact that I'm playing in Scottish Area in less than 2 weeks. Just to go into a bit more detail my chops feel a little weak as well and slightly bloated too. I think I may need to consult a teacher ASAP. It was recommended to me by a well respected conductor last weekend to phone someone (He have me a number) but trying to avoid it if I can but seems unavoidable now I think!

7. jezza23361

jezza23361 Member

Hi - it does sound like it may be a serious lip muscle problem to me. I hope that I am wrong. The exact same thing happened to a friend of mine and the lip muscle had torn internally and separated allowing the lip to bulge out adjacent to the mouthpiece. I used to sit next to him and had a permanent draught in my face.

Professional advice and quickly I would recommend.

Jeremy

8. alangiff3

alangiff3 Member

Try some gentle lip buzzing, but yes seek professional advice

9. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

I have decided to put my cornet away until Monday. I had band rehearsal with Drogheda tonight and while I didn't disgrace myself a rest till Monday evening will leave me in a better position to do something! Thanks to all who commented will let you know the outcome

10. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Just in case you hadn't noticed a very familiar (and entirely accurate) theme running through this thread.

11. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

I haven't in anyway dismissed the advice that was given. Tonight I felt alot of the ability was still there (We played through two test pieces and anything that went above a top a was very hard work) and that my chops just felt tired so a rest may sort everything out and if not then I will consult somebody. The other thing that is against me is geographical location. I'm currently in Rep. of Ireland and there is nobody that I know close by that I could consult about this. I'm working all weekend so it wont be till Monday before I could travel anywhere so the best thing I can do is take a rest and move forward on Monday!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    air
    everything
    side
    reason
    nothing
  13. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Are you based near Dublin, there are plenty of professional players based there?? Teachers as the RIAM ?

http://www.riam.ie/woodwind-brass-and-percussion-staff-members.html

I know Colm (Byrne) and Jimmy (Kavanagh), if you were to get in touch with them and arrange a lesson / consultation, I'm sure they would be happy to help.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  14. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

Its getting time Im working till 6.30 all next week and this weekend and wouldnt get to dublin till well after 7! I have a few people I am going to speak to about it. Just little I can do when I can't get to Dublin you know appreciate the help though!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  15. pemjo

pemjo New Member

It sounds to me like you have done a bit too much and are knackered. Im not an expert but do play cornet and have found myself in these situations. I think some low playing for a few days, to get the lips buzzing and If my lip feels a bit swollen I take some Ibruprofen which seems to help.

Hope it all goes ok?? Good luck for the Scottish Area.

16. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Lots of advice relating to the muscles, but have you considered it may actually be a dental problem. I have had similar issues, and it turned out that this was the case. Air would release from the side of my mouth and it didn't matter how much I worked on my embouchure it would return intermittently; have a look at the side of your instrument near the mouthpiece - any saliva marks, caused by spray? Very knowledgeable orthodontist friend actually narrowed the problems down to an ill-fitting denture palate! :oops: Just a thought... :D

17. foxy bingo

foxy bingo New Member

Have you tried practicing with a fag inserted in the offending gap? The over compensation tends to sort the weakness out. That's the way we used to sort such issues in the old days. good luck anyway. F.B

18. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

When I saw the title of this I thought how long till Mr Perks chips in......;)

19. GordonH

GordonH Member

I am going to give one bit of advice which can clearly do no harm.

If your lips are bloated thats the body reacting to something and its usually the lymphatic system compensating for lack of fluids. I went through a patch of this, came off caffeine and started drinking water to rehydrate myself. It did make a difference and it can certainly do no harm trying it while you pursue other things.

20. Chris Lee

Chris Lee Guest

Hi Stephen. I'm sure the advice you have already received is good, and that this is just a passing issue. But you might want to google embouchure distonia. The good news is that this (embouchure distonia) tends to be more prevalent amongst trombonists.

I anyway hope that it is fixed by now.

Very Best, Chris Lee

21. stephenmrry

stephenmrry Member

Just a quick report back that everything appears to be fine played in the scottish Championships this weekend and was quite happy with the form of my chops!!