PRIZE MONEY

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by iancwilx, Aug 7, 2003.

1. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I've just come across my old programme for the 1962 Yorkshire Areas.
    The Prize Money was :-

CHAMPIONSHIP SECTION
    1st - £50 and Daily Herald Trophy (Today worth £636)
    2nd - £30 (Nothing else) ( £381.60)
    3rd - £15 ( Nothing else) (190.80)

THIRD SECTION
    1st - £20 and Daily Herald Trophy (Today worth £254.40)
    2nd - £12 (£152.64)
    3rd - £9 (£114.48)
    4th - £5 (£63.60)

I possess a chart which shows that a £ in 1962 is worth £12.72 in todays terms, and my figures are calculated on this basis.
    How do these amounts compare with todays Area prizes ??
    (I wonder how much it cost to hire a bus in those days !!)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    programme
    1962 Yorkshire Areas
    Nothing
    Area prizes
    terms
  3. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

Perhaps there was more publicity in brass bands, and thus more sponsorship. There were certainly more brass bands around, which should have swelled the coffers. Dare I say it, perhaps band contests were more popular then (to the uninitiated, of course). :twisted:

(This could start a debate) How do we get the public to go to brass band contests?

To put it another way, what member of joe public would pay money to listen 15+ times to the same piece, which of course they've never heard of. Add that to the general media concept of brass bands (i.e. working class, badly out of tune and touch, the floral dance (need I say more?)

This is not to say I don't love band contests, and I am starting a new habit of actually going and listening to the bands instead of staying in the bar all day. I must be getting old.

Apologies to the poster of this subject if I have changed the direction of the argument. Personally, I hate the yorkshire area from a players' point of view. You can't warm up properly at all. :(

4. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

:shock: :roll: :!: If you carry on like this you'll end up like the Midlands area with no bar at all :cry: :cry: :cry:

Take it from previous answer that the prizes are better in comparison to the modern day when inflation is taken into account. Seems suprising as most things seem to be more money driven now.

5. BeatTheSheep

BeatTheSheep Member

Oh, I wouldn't want no bar at all. For those difficult times when you've played like s**** for no apparent reason and all the hard work has been for nothing.

OR (even worse) when you've played a stormer as a band and come nowhere and every adjudicator knows nothing and that baritone player needs replacing and isn't this beer bloody awful why don't we ever try that bar round the corner.

OR (this was true) you've just heard Prague for the first time and need counselling to recover.

but I wouldn't want to listen to no bands at all nowadays, been there, done that, christened the toilet bowl.