private tuition

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by flower girl, Jul 23, 2005.

  1. flower girl

    flower girl Member

    hi, not sure if this is in the correct forum but, i've got a friend who's looking to start private tuition, i was wondering if any one had any tips on how to advertise and get yourself known?

    Any suggestions would be appreciated,
    thanks, lisa
  2. jingleram

    jingleram Active Member

    If she is brass teacher, then advertising on the 4barsrest website, the bandsman magazine, or on here!!!
  3. flower girl

    flower girl Member

    its a he. n thanks i hadn't actually thought of 4bars rest.
  4. jingleram

    jingleram Active Member

    Haha sorry i have done that alot on here!
  5. flower girl

    flower girl Member

    dont apologise to me, apologise to him, when he reads this thread he'll be mift cos its the 2nd time in as many days that he's been mistaken for a female. he he he he
  6. TheMusicMan

    TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

    Advertising this on 4BR will cost you ££. Advertising in the British Bandsman will cost you ££. Advertising in any other band publication will cost you ££. However, adsvertising on tMP, with opportunity for feedback and discussion on what your friend will offer, with opportunity for your friends pupils to offer their thoughts on how good your friend is, together with a link, description, thumbnail, rating etc to a www site your friend might set up to promote themselves, and all this without waiting... is free.

    You choose...:biggrin:
  7. jingleram

    jingleram Active Member

    Can't help thinking you're biased... but i can't work out towards which option!!!
  8. TheMusicMan

    TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

    There's nothing wrong with advertising on any of the aforementioned companies, I am certian they are all good services, but of course I am going to be showing preference to tMP, did you expect anything different!!! :biggrin:

    However, 'bias' is a specific tendency towards one item/service etc with all things being equal i.e. to influence unfavorably or detrimentally. If tMP charged mandatorily for these services, as do 4BR, BB and all of the others, then all things would indeed be equal and I could then correctly be accused of bias.

    However, all things are not equal, tMP does not charge mandatorily for these items, so biased I am not.:wink: now.. if you accused me of offering a better service, then I'd change my plea... hehehe
  9. jingleram

    jingleram Active Member

    I know I know! Wasn't having a dig! themouthpiece is the best thing on the net and wouldn't have a word said against it! Or you for that matter for creating it!
  10. TheMusicMan

    TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

    Woah there.... no offence taken sir... none at all... just good old friendly banter:) Besides, I gotta have some way of promoting tMP eh, if I make a post advertising what we do, I'd be jumped on by those darned mods... sheesh, they're everywhere..;)

    Cheers :biggrin:
  11. jingleram

    jingleram Active Member

    Ok good, now may I take this opportunity to say,...............TOPIC
  12. trumpetmike

    trumpetmike Well-Known Member

    What instruments are they going to be teaching? (all brass? brass band instruments only? orchestral brass only?)
    To what levels?

    Cards in local music shops are very useful - many shops keep lists of local teachers - if you are a familiar face in the shops, you can easily get your name to the top of that list.

    Get to know other music teachers in the area and see if they are full to capacity. When I have a full teaching timetable, I have a couple of recommendations for other teachers that will gve parents.

    Online advertising is all fine and dandy, but frequently the people who will look for such things online are those wanting advanced teaching, many of them already know quite a bit and are looking for specific things in the lessons.

    Apologies for staying on topic
  13. sparkling_quavers

    sparkling_quavers Active Member

    I would recommend getting a CRB disclosure if you are planning to tutor under-18's especially if you will be doing it from home. You can apply to your local council for them to do this for you (although it will cost you a small amount) or contact a supply agency (eg select education) as they would probably let you pay as an external and do it as well.

Share This Page