Private practice facilities (S Wales/Glos)

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Lenny_The_Shark, Nov 16, 2007.

1. I'm sure I'm not the only person that suffers with this, so thought I'd throw this open to see if anyone's come up with something.

I hate practising at home (no I'm not trying to get out of it!), I always get really self-conscious of neighbours etc and never really feel comfortable practising at home and never play above an mp, which of course affects my playing as I can't get a proper regular practice in. :(

Tried all kinds of combinations of mutes/cloths/dusters/rodents and that doesnt make it any better. :p

So what I'm looking for is either somewhere I can go for like 30 mins a day for a private practice, what do other people with this (purely mental) affliction do? I think the only option is to buy a shed and soundproof it but don't really want to fork out loads for something, ideally I'd like somewhere nearby I can go like a bandroom or music studio etc

Thoughts/suggestions? :confused:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Glos
    Private practice facilities
    proper regular practice
    bandroom
    ca
  3. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Try the open air...there are enough mountains and forestry around us. When I was a kid, Roy Williams euphonium player with Cory/Manchester Co-op practised regularly on the mountainside opposite me in the Ogmore Valley. He had a sound to die for.:)

4. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

This is indeed a problem. If you live in anything but a detached house then this is very much a problem. It's very difficult if you live in a flat in a city with no access to any university practice rooms etc.
    Practicing with those hideous practice mutes I believe to be counter productive to sound and intonation.

5. sop 1

sop 1 Member

practise mutes have come on leaps and bounds! try using a bremner ssshhhhhh mute,really good and doesnt affect ur tuning! :)

6. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

This year, I saw a piece of equipment which is a practice mute, but has microphones attached internally and you wear headphones to hear what you sound like.

Funnily enough, it was American!

7. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

You mean just like the Yamaha Silent brass mutes then that have been around for the last 8 or so years then?

Funnily enough, they aren't American!

8. Griffis

Griffis Member

Practising is cheating my friend!!! :D

9. Masterblaster jnr

No, he said it had been made only recently, that was in april

10. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Well he may have only started making them recently but they do sound awfully like the Yamaha Silent Brass Mutes which have a practice mute that goes in the bell with internal pick up microphones and the user wears headphones to hear the sounds.

What is different about these new ones?

11. Masterblaster jnr

They probably cost a lot more, but apart from that there is no difference probably.

Maybe size or quality.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Glos
    Private practice facilities
    proper regular practice
    bandroom
    ca
  13. Thanks for the comments guys, I think I'm just gonna have to persevere.

But I've decided rather than trying to bodge together my own soundproof-mute system I'm gonna go out and get a proper one!

Torn between the silent brass and the shhhmute thing, which one is quieter?

Oh and Griffis, you of all people should know i need the practice :D

14. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Silent Brass is excellent. I use mine all the time, and found it excellent. I've recently been going round the country on audtions, and have a 10min practice routine I have to do every evening at 8pm before an important contest/concert/audtion (slightly obsessive, I know, but hasnt failed me yet!); obviously staying in hotels somewhat limits how loud you can play, but stick in the silent brass and it's no louder than having your TV on in your room. Plus, with the headphones in, you can hear what your doing properly, and can kid yourself that it really is TOTALLY silent, because, after all, no-one can hear your ipod when your listening to it, can they?!

I'd try one 1st, you might not like it as much as I do, but I'd say it's worth the investment!

I too hate having people able to hear me practice. its a confidence thing. Some have it, some don't! We, my friend, are unlucky!

Good luck!