Private Lessons

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Tubby, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Tubby

Tubby Member

I have recently been having private lessons from Les Niesh most recent one on Sunday just gone. The lesson went on for 2 hours and by the end of it my lip was well and truely hammered.:D

He has made such a difference to me in such a short time and we have become good friends as well.:D

Some members of my band are supprised that I am prepared to pay for lessons and travel 400 miles round trip to do it, they also suggest that my aspiration to get better is taking tuba playing a bit too serious.

I completely disagree of course and will continue to have them as long as can.

Is this lack of support perculiar to S A bands ( I am a member of one ) ??

Tubby

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    :D
    Les Niesh
    Private Lessons
    tuba
    bands
  3. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

I've known people to travel great lengths for lessons from accomplished musicians, and I think if you feel you are learning from it then where is the harm? If you are willing to travel/pay etc then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

I don't understand those who don't have the ambition to further their skills, so I'd disagree with the people saying you are taking Tuba playing 'too serious'. Isn't the whole point of playing to broaden your skills whilst enjoying making music? You seem to be doing that. I also think developing your 'craft' is important.

4. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

I had all those people telling me what to do and what not to do.
    I travelled and paid for lesson, and ended up being a professional musician for 9 years. SO... it is worth it!! Carry on mate!
    I was in the same year as Les at college and worked with him professionally and can't rate him highly enough for lessons! And of course he's not half bad at playing the Tuba too! ;-)

5. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I'm lucku enough to have an EXCELLENT teacher fairly locally....who also happens to be Camborne's MD :D

So while I'm lucky that I don't have to travel miles and miles, I happily would. A good teacher is one worth hanging on to.

And there's nothing wrong with taking it seriously. If people didn't, no one would ever be very good, surely?! If it's what you want, and it makes you happy - do it. Simple.

6. Whether you are taking this too seriously is your decision. I applaud anyone who takes music seriously enough to devote this much dedication to the discipline.

7. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

It is never to far to travel for a good teacher.
    Many people will travel that distance (and further) to watch a football match or other sporting event, which they could've watched on TV.
    Good luck to you.
    My son used to spend a whole saturday travelling to and from his lessons and is now studying at The Royal Academy of Music (and earning good money too).

8. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

it seems to be. I am pretty enthusiastic to and get hammered for it. I think Critisised might be to strong a word but not encouraged to improve, Definatly.
    Not that I take any notice.

9. T Winch

T Winch Member

You go for it Marcus! I wish I had the time and the money :clap:. I could add a comment about the less encouraging members of your corps without whom my banding career may have taken a different course but discretion prevents me ;)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  10. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Got to agree with previous posts, just keep pursuing your ambition you never know where it will lead!

11. Tubby

Tubby Member

Thank you Mr Winch obviously I wasn't referring to the principal horn of our band he he;)

I really enjoy it and enjoy the results that my lessons and 2 hours everyday hard work at home are bringing. My main reason for starting with Les was because I had played BBb since I was 14 starting on an Imperial which came from the ISB. I wasn't too bad on Eb but knew I could be a whole lot better so after chatting with a few folk I made contact with Les and have never looked back.

The lack of encouragement doesn't really bother me, my view is that if banding was taken a little more seriously then our band would be many times better.

Tubby

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    :D
    Les Niesh
    Private Lessons
    tuba
    bands
  13. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

It's given to each of us to decide how seriously we take our involvement in brass banding. One gets out of it what one puts in. The level we play at is mainly determined by the effort we are willing to put in. Some folkare happy to rattle around the lower secions their whole career, others always strive to move on and up, and there's room for all of us in banding.

The point is, we all make our own choices for our own reasons, and if it's what you;ve decided then it's right for you.

Good luck to you. :)

14. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I have to 2nd that

15. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Then he is extremely lucky - the exception rather than the rule.

Oh maybe I read it wrong, where does he earn the money? Not via music is my guess :)

Back to the original post - have those lessons for the right reasons. To improve, enjoy and for self worth. Don't however be under any illusion that you will make a living from it. There are hundreds/thousands of musicians in this country with the ability to play in a professional orchestra who can't because the jobs are not there.

I have had many students go to music colleges. I use this analogy. Imagine you were in the top half of people who do what you do. You'd expect to get a job, right? Now imagine you are in the top ten percent, that job would be well paid, right? What about if you were in the top one percent? Here's the reality in music, far fewer that 1 percent actually end up making a living from playing and those that do are poorly paid for it (compared to other professions). Fancy those odds?

16. T Winch

T Winch Member

I don't think the issue was making money. Just trying to be as good as possible at something he enjoys doing

17. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Be the Best you can be. And enjoy doing it. what better reasons for playing? I guess there are other Reasons for Tubby as there are for myself. But I always strive to do the Best I possibly can when i play.

18. Kjata

Kjata Member

I travel a couple of hours on the train to have a lesson in Doncaster with Richard Marshall, even though I'll be studying with him at the RNCM in September. There's nothing wrong with travelling to a professional with a seriously good reputation.

19. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

That's a bit of a depressing post, isn't it?!

We're most of us aware of how damn good you've got to be to make it as a professional player - but the OP didn't say that he wanted to be a professional - just that he was taking it seriously and wanted to improve. Fair enough really!

I'm under no illusions. I'm not a bad player. I know I can be a lot better. Which is why I practice, and have lessons from a good teacher, and am going to uni to study music.

I'd like to think that, by the time I leave uni, I will be sufficiently good enough at a number of different things (teaching/arranging/conducting/playing/composing) that I can scratch together a lving for myself.

Even if I'm wrong - I'm going to try.

If we all looked at those odds and took them as gospel, we'd none of us even bother trying. And then no-one would make it. Someone's got to make a living out of it. Nothing wrong with working towards it possibly being you. And if it's not? Well....try summat else.

Personally, I'm going to be the best I possibly can be. Have the best teachers I possibly can. Work as hard as I possibly can.

Then at least I can't ever wonder 'what if?'.

20. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Agreed.

I was just making a wider point.

21. Mattytheshark

Mattytheshark Member

I'm trying to arrange some lessons for myself at the moment. I studdied at music college 10 years ago but since then I have not been happy with my standard of playing (probably because I'm not practising the same amount now I have to go to work every day!). I feel the focus that lessons will give me will help me progress - not necesarilly telling me how to play the trombone but as sort of a mentor I suppose.

Struggled to find a tutor at the moment though. Tried a couple of Championship section solo trombone players from the North West/Yorkshire but one didn't turn up to my lesson (at his own house I may add!) and the other hasn't even got back to me! Any suggestions?

22. JAlexK

JAlexK New Member

Hi Matty,

I wanted exactly the same, more of a mentor than a straight-up teacher.
    I've actually ended up with someone pretty young, just out of the royal academy. He's full of enthusiasm, and has the words and inspiration of Phil Bousfield, Dennis Wick et. al. fresh in his mind.

When I started with him (Jan this year) I explained exactly what i wanted to achieve, and left it up to him to suggest how we went forward. It's been a very rewarding experience as it's increased the enjoymentI get from my playing as well as producing some pleasing improvement in my technical skills.

I would say don't just focus on the top guys as teachers, although it's great to have something with them occassionally. Find someone you can work with, whoever they may be and whatever their reputation, but don't be afraid to move on if things don't work out.

Alex