private lessons - some questions

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by gingerdave, Mar 25, 2010.

1. gingerdave

gingerdave Member

slightly seperate to the other thread

i've been thinking about getting some lessons, but when i last had some it was at school! I'm looking to get some tips on how i'm playing and areas for improvement/instruction on how to do that! Since i've returned to music the level i used to be seems a far way away (grd5 trumpet)! Also, having changed to tenor horn with no instruction i'm wondering if i could be doing anything better/differently, (point + blow!) mind you i've coped for a year now!

What's the going rate at the moment for how long?
    What's the ettiquette for where it's done - in own home or theirs?
    How many lessons would be good (how long's a peice of string!)?
    personal reccomendation or point + choose? (any suggestions for s.bucks area?)

i obv go to band rehearsals once a week, and try to get in a practice inbetween (of about 15-30 mins), but other than that work + life is in the way.

thoughts on a postcard please!

2. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

If you live in an area where there is a music college/faculty, ask around to see if there are any students who would be willing to teach you. May be a way of getting slightly cheaper lessons (although I'm not sure how much lessons are nowadays).

You need to have a sort of assessment lesson with whoever your tutor is to determine how many lessons you need...may be that its an on-going thing.
  3. EbEwan

EbEwan Member

You could always try - I can't vouch for how good it is having never used it myself (I only know it exists as it was set up by an old school friend of mine), but it could be a start as you can search through it by instrument and area.
  4. lewis

lewis Member

There are loads of pro players around Chesham, depends on what you want to pay. You could probably find a kid straight out of college that'll charge £20 hour or go right to other end of the spectrum and pay £60/£70 with an older established pro. Music teachers is a good shout but you also have Aylesbury Music Centre that might be able to point you in the right direction and it might be worth giving prozone music a ring to see if they have had any local players in placing adverts.
  5. gingerdave

gingerdave Member

hmm hadn't thought about those two.. excellent idea!

ref scotchgirl:
    the only issue with ongoing lessons is - requency, do you have it weekly to get the best out of it (if so that's going to add up quickly) or less frequently and then maybe struggle to work/remember the things + continue on with bad habits.
  6. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

RE: frequency - that would be best to discuss with your may be that you don't need a lesson every week, and some things that you'd need to practise would take more than a week to master anyway....but an initial assessment of 'where you're at' should be enough to determine what level of committment to practise/lessons you need.
  7. gingerdave

gingerdave Member

fair enough. Only having the expeirience of school tuition it's hard to imagine what it's like as an adult.

Especially not having parents to say 'have you done your scales?!' in that ever so accusatory voice! Or for that matter pay for them!
  8. barrytone

barrytone Member

I was very lucky to have a music teacher near where I lived who had played for top bands like Dyke, Brighouse, CWS etc. for most of his 20 year+ career. He did me a practice structure which worked on every aspect of my playing technique and once we had established what my weaknesses were, my practice programme was tailored towards those.

It's along time since he gave me lessons but I still use the practice structure that he designed for me and it works wonders. I practice a minimum of an hour a day, more when my other commitments allow but have a shortened regime that I can do that lasts 20 to 30 mins.

I was lucky to find such a wonderful teacher, he became my mentor and friend and I was very sad to lose him when he passed away in 2005. He wasn't the most expensive teacher I could have had, my lessons lasted 1 hour but I was rarely there for less than 2 as after my lesson we usually had a coffee and listened to some of his recordings. I felt very comfortable during my lessons, never afraid to ask questions and he didn't exactly tell me off when I obviously hadn't practiced as much as I should have.

Hope you manage to find a tutor or teacher that fits you as well as mine fitted me!
  9. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

1. Between £20 and £35 per hour depending on location. Experienced/high profile teacher might charge more - I've seen £70 per hour at the top end. MU/ISM rates are around the £28-30 an hour mark.

2. Depends on the teacher.

3. Don't be restrained by a fixed number of lessons. There is always something new to learn. Also don't assume you have to have the same teacher for every lesson. A new teacher can bring a useful new perspective. Space between lessons will depend on how quickly you can achieve the practice tasks you have been set.

4. Get a recommendation - but get it from someone that knows/has experience.
  10. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Erm, why? Why does it matter at all how much you practice?? Surely it's much better to say I'm going to achieve x, y & z today. Then when you have finished your practice (however long it takes) you can look back and say I'm now better at x, y & z. Much more meaningful that saying 'I did an hour'.
  11. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

The amount of time you practise builds stamina. If you only practise a short time, you can't expect to play a long concert without loosing your lip because you haven't put in the right amount of time. Time matters .
  12. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

Still can't agree. Time is irrelevant.

I agree with the jist of your point - just not your perspective.

The key point you mention is stamina. If building stamina is the aim of your practice then the exercises you choose and the time taken on those will dictate the amount of practice you do.

Doing it the other way round and saying I need to spend an hour to improve my stamina is just plain wrong IMO. The only thing you achieve when time is your objective is just that - time. I much prefer to see real, tangible objectives in practice. Need the stamina to play a whole concert? Then that is your goal. I repeat, time is irrelevant.
  13. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

It's not how long you practice that gives stamina, it's more how and what you practice.

I was told to practice little but often, i.e. 3 20 min sessions with a break between is far more benificial than 1 hour slog, where you are so tired at the end, nothing is achieved.

Plan what you do for each practice session, set goals, figure out how to achieve them, then work on achieving them.

For good tips on practice, refer to Howard Snells book's , the Trumpet, and The Art of Practice.
  14. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

15. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

And because Mike's too polite to recommend his own website.... is well worth a look for its own content too, not just the reviews!
  16. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Looks a very good resource.. cheers for posting it here..
  17. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

I only had a short time when I put this post up. the time is cumulative so it can be done in segments and over regular segments of time ie 20 mins or 30 mins a day or even several times in one day, stamina builds using exersizes to build stamina ie long note exersizes and slow melody exersizes. But Time does matter even if it is done over a period of days weeks. If time is not put in results will be less than reasonable
  18. Martin

Martin Member

Dave, forgot to mention in my PM. Try the book, 'How Brass Players Do It' by John Ridgeon. Shows you a load of flexibility exercises and more. You can get it on the Internet. I got mine from Trevada Music.
  19. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

An excellent book.

Although as a result I do find myself playing top As on 2nd valve every now and again :-?
  20. davejenkins

davejenkins Member

Excellent content. But isn't it "practise" with an s?