Printer Scanner keeps de-installing !

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by iancwilx, Jan 26, 2012.

1. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

One for you tekkies out there.
    I have a Hewlett Packard Deskjet F2100 all in one printer/scanner. I have had it for about 5 years and found it an excellent machine up until about 2 years ago.
    Now, most times when I turn it on, it asks me to insert the set up CD and goes through the whole set up procedure installing drivers etc. showing "Copy 1, copy 2 copy 3" etc. on the Control Panel.
    If I ignore it when it asks for the CD and press "Cancel", it repeats the request a few times and if I cancel them all, it just goes ahead and does a copy install without the disk.
    This very annoying, time consuming and is driving me batty ~ Why won't it hold the driver/set up info on the HD ?

I'd hate to have to bin the machine because :-
    1) I like it.
    2) I'm a mean Yorkshireman and don't want the expense of buying another, although I know they are relatively inexpensive. ('OW MUCH??)

- Mr Wilx

2. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I'm no techie but I would think you've got a corrupt file somewhere. You might like to consider uninstalling the printer completely and doing a re-installation. Take a look here for how to do it cleanly.

3. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Great stuff, I'll have a go at that.
    Ta muchly,

_ Mr Wilx

4. The Wherryman

You're welcome, but I accept no responsibility :rolleyes:.

But seriously, that's the route I'd go down. Having followed the instructions from HP, and before re-installing the printer, you might consider using this free and simple utility to clean out your registry safely. I use it regularly on my desktop and laptop computers, XP and Win7. It offers to backup the registry before it makes any changes, which is always a good idea. I would never recommend anyone tampers with the registry, but this utility hasn't let me down yet.

5. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I've been chasing that info for ages but couldn't finger it ~ Thanks very much. I have managed to print it off with the usual palava !

Cheers,

- Mr Wilx

6. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I devoted an hour today to doing your suggested registery clear out and installing the prompted google chrome. Excellent, I've never had my laptop work so fast and efficiently. It has revitalised my machine.
    Thanks so much for your tip.

Cheers

- Mr Wilx

7. The Wherryman

Thanks for the feedback. I'm pleased to have been of assistance.