Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BrianT, Aug 23, 2006.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

Suppose your band gets offered considerable sponsorship from a rich company you consider to be a bit dodgy - you know - exploiting third world sweat shop workers, or cutting down rain forest, you know the sort of thing.

Do you accept the money and forget your principles, or do you make a stand?

2. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I don't think Nike or McDonalds would be interested in sponsoring a band...
  3. NeilW

NeilW Member

Have Williams F1 got much spare cash then :)

(can't think of any other rich local businesses!)

On a more serious note...

I think I'd put it to the whole band (i.e. an EGM) as to whether to accept the sponsorship or not. You can either set specific rules (greater than such and such a percentage of the votes cast in favour) or a simple majority.

You do stand a chance of losing players from both camps no matter which course you go down: there will be the folk who think the band have kicked out the goose that will lay golden eggs and won't want to associate with such fools; on the other hand, there will be people who cannot stay in a band that is accepting "blood money"...

No win, I'm afraid! At least if you pose the question to the band you'll realise who and how many are in each camp.

Would the sponsors be paying travelling expenses from Stokenchurch? Actually it would depend who the sponsors were and how dreadful their crimes against humanity were...

4. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

So long as the company are not breaking the law there should not be a problem.

If some players don't like the way the company operates they should deal with it or look for an alternative.
  5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Try asking someone from the band now known as Shepherd Building Group Band but formerly known as

[cue the evil organ music]

The Nestle Rowntree Band.

Nestle being a rich company I consider a bit - actually, no, a lot - dodgy!

PS I look forward to hearing about Wantage's tie-up with Oxfordshire Arms Dealers Ltd in the near future:D
  6. BrianT

BrianT Member

Should stress this is entirely hypothetical, just as a disussion point.
  7. the fish

the fish Member

Can't see local companies starting to queue up to chuck money at us Brian! but as it's hypothetical then no, I would not accept the sponsorship, I would rather be part of a stone broke and band than one then lives off the explotation of others.
  8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Not a sponsorship issue specifically, but we had an awkward one when we turned up to do a concert in a country village, only to find that it had been promoted - including a picture of the band in uniform - as being part of a campaign against the expansion of Stansted Airport. Had we known in advance, we would not have accepted the invitation, particularly as one or two in the band depend on airport business for their livelihood! As it was, we did go ahead, feeling it was better to do so as the audience was there, but we did make our views nown to the organisers and, possibly a little more subtly, to the listeners.

Again, not on the same scale as a sponsorship deal, but we have turned down engagements, particularly around Christmas time, where we have not been happy with the nature or attitude of the groups involved.
  9. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm...tis a tricky's easy to be the hypocrite here, I'd like to say "no they can keep their money seeing as it is on the back of exploitation of others"...but using another example, some would argue that shopping at supermarkets is benefitting from the exploitation of the supermarkets suppliers. Where do you draw the line?
  10. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

thats just your view, if they are not breaking the law what is the problem?
  11. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Hypothetically of course!;) Principles can be annoying sometimes, can't they? However, what would happen to the band without the money? That would be the question I would put to the rest of the band. Then let them decide! :biggrin:
  12. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

First of all, yes, it's my view. The original post asked what individuals would do. If I was a member of a band that entered into a sponsorship deal with Nestle or any of its subsidiaries I would resign immediately.

The problem is things like this:
    and this:,,863509,00.html
    not to mention this:

Nestle is by no means the only offender (step forward Tesco, Wal-mart/Asda, Unilever, Parmalat and others) but it is one of the most powerful and unreasonable.
  13. Ickle.Hannah

Ickle.Hannah Member

I may be little but i have a point to make If the Band is in serious need of the money then go ahead but if the band is in serious trouble and good players might leave if there is not enough income for the band then go ahead but remember consorts can make money and advertise for sponsoring Just a Little paragraph from a Little Person
  14. BackRowQueenie

BackRowQueenie New Member

15. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

It comes down to a question of bookings.
    What's the point of having a set of spanking new jumpers and trumpets, if the concert organisers get wind that you're funded by exploitative means? You simply won't get engagements if the organisations you'd be representing would rather be associated with Al-Quaida.

Personally, I'd draw the line if I found a 7-year-old girl's severed finger sewn into the lining of my walking out.

Although with advanced neuro-surgery, this could help euphs and bass players....