Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by marksmith, Jun 10, 2009.

1. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

PRINCIPAL/PRINCIPLE. Call me pedantic but I hate seeing these words mis-used or wrongly spelt.
    What mis-spellings get your back up?
  2. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

You're a pedant!!! Apart from that one, there, their and they're, your and you're (I suppose I shoud have written "Your a pedant")
  3. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I am possibly a pedant - but sometimes these things matter. See how many bands advertise for a 'Principle' player. " Ooh no, I could not play that, it's against my principles!" :mad:
    Also, confusion of have and of !!!!!! :eek:
  4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I agree 100%.
    It makes me fume with rage because it does not convey the desired meaning of the statement.
    It's not being pedantic.
    There is a correct way to use the English language, and anything else is incorrect.
    It is like a wrong note in a piece of music, it cannot possibly right if it is not what the composer intended.

- Wilkie
    (Don't get me started on text speak - sloppy rubbish !)
  5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Maybe they are looking for that elusive creature, a principled principal?
  6. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Ha ! Ha ! - I really like that.

- Wilkie
  7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Save your blood pressure on this one, Ian! There are numerous examples of English word forms where more than one spelling is widely accepted. Indeed, there were three such examples in Mark's original post ("mis-used", "spelt", and "mis-spelling" vs "misused", "spelled", and "misspelling").

But I quite agree with the original moan; there is a special circle of Hell reserved for those who advertise for a "Principle Cornet". Heads down in the river of fire in the 9th precinct, I believe, according to Dante...
  8. nigeb12

nigeb12 Member

Have to agree with this one. Should of known it would come up ;)
    I don't fink premiership footballers help wiv their diction tho.
  9. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

There are some witty guys on here this morning.
    Love it.

- Wilkiie
  10. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

I have to agree with the use of the hyphen, I think I was on something like adrenalin/adrenaline (both correct!) at the time - sorry! However, 'spelt' is correct, as is 'spelled' (Collins Dictionary), so I cannot kiss any a--, or should that be ar-e? for that one!:wink:
  11. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It's okay, Mark, I didn't say you were wrong! I said that these were acceptable alternatives...
  12. ghost

ghost Member

I would be interested to know what things annoy people at band - shall I start the ball rolling with people who are given a lovely instrument by the band and don't look after it......
  13. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

I often see the principal/principle thing misspelt in academic papers - and as they've been been peer reviewed, often by more than one person, it's a lot of nets to slip through! I always make a point of circling them on my printout - it makes me feel better.
  14. MrsDoyle

MrsDoyle Supporting Member

I am a pedant, see signature.

Should(n't) of and Could(n't) of

should be...

Should(n't) have and Could(n't) have .
  15. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

So, talking about spelling, are you Wilky or Wilkie? ;)
  16. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

practise/practice - thanks to our American cousins confusion reigns.
  17. mclaugh

mclaugh Member

Um ... not to be pedantic, but, strictly speaking, it should be:

Should(n't)'ve and could(n't)'ve.

18. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

this kind of statement gets my back up.

you look at old english, or french for example and by comparison the way English is commonly spoken and sometimes written is incredibly 'sloppy'

you ask ANY open minded linguist about text-speak and they will tell you it is evolution of a language - because let's face it, if every new piece of language was stopped we'd still be speaking ye olde English.

Text speak, while sometimes unreadable (if you don't know what things mean, just like chinese or russian, say) is still a perfectly legitimate form of communication. I will add a proviso however that text speak is fine, but you should still have the knowledge and sufficient background into conventional English so that should the need arise you can use it.
  19. grausue

grausue Member

I get annoyed when students don't use capital letters properly. ;)
  20. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

I am ashamed.