Principal or Principle?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Having just been watching "Never Mind the Full Stops", I've been struck down with an attack of "Pedantic Grammar and Spelling", and so feel obliged to address one of my pet hates on tMP.

So, would all players who lead their cornet section, all solo euphonium players, all solo trombone players, and any other player who deems the use of the word necessary and does not know, webmasters, journalists (who should know better!) please note that the word is "Principal" and not "principle"!!!!!!!

*Takes his medicine and goes to bed.....*

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    word
    real pedants
    us
    prompt reply
    Principal
  3. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Here - here! ooops lol. Hear - hear.

4. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

never met a bass player who could spell before. Drink yes... and sometimes be quite gorgeous (memories!!!!!!!!!!!!)... but lecture us about grammer??????

5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Grammar. :biggrin:

6. Mesmerist

hey i am slightly under the influence of a good wine and never could spell but i am only a cornet player and can never aspire to the lofty wisdom of the bass section. To be honest, can`t pick one up they are soooo heavy...but you made me laugh so i reckon you are one nice geezer?

7. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

You are not alone. It's been annoying me for ages. Maybe I should get out more...

8. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

:biggrin:

I cringe when I read what some people write, whether it be at work or at play. A guy I know always picks people up on incorrect grammar and spelling. He is especially hot on words that sound the same, like principal and principle, which are used incorrectly. His other pet hate is the word proactive. In his book you are either active or inactive. He always asks what proactive actually means.

I know I am not perfect but I hope I am better than most. I do know that I need to make sure that I don't slip into abreviated speak, though, when I am in a hurry.

9. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Nearly, just one b missing from abbreviated. :biggrin:
    My pet hate is affect/effect.

10. Mesmerist

ouch!!! and why is abbreviated such a long word? (are ipswich trom and Will the Sec english teachers in real life?)

11. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Mine is your and you're.

I must admit I sometimes get confused with principle and principal :confused:
    But if in doubt I look it up and always get it right ;)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    word
    real pedants
    us
    prompt reply
    Principal
  13. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

So its a matter of principal that principle is spelt principal and not principle.

I hope that clears it up ;)

14. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

it's a bit like flugel/flugal :rolleyes:

15. Mesmerist

I thought that either flugel or flugal was correct? But what do i know and am going to bed before big bad Will the sec or Ipswich trombone tick me off again for misuse of english grammAr. Goodnight all (and perhaps i will finish "Eats shoots and leaves" but confess did find it tedious. )x x x

16. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Stationary / Stationery.

A stationER sells stationERy. :mad:

17. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

While we're being pedantic, it's a [FONT=&quot]fl├╝gel, or a flugel, but NEVER a FLUGAL.

(I don't refer to your instrument as a cornit, or a youfoneium, or a trombown...:rolleyes: )

[/FONT]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  18. Mesmerist

please stop this now!!!!! am having nightmares about my old english teacher mr hathaway and i can`t find the 2 little dots on the keyboard for flugel so sorry sorry sorry

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  19. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

I cheated - pasted from Word where you can 'insert symbol'.... :)

(As long as you don't spell it FLUGAL!!!)

20. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

...and it's definitely!!! :biggrin: Don't we have a similar thread to this one already??! :rolleyes:

21. Mesmerist

phew i thought you were really cross derek and i really haven`t meant to offend anyone with my misjudged spelling. i love that particular aformentioned instrument so i hope that you are good at it. x:D

22. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member